Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Daily Routine  (Read 3802 times)

spursman

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Longclose Pigs
Daily Routine
« on: August 26, 2009, 07:31:02 pm »
Picking the pigs up tomorrow afternoon so a few nerves are creeping in now but really looking forward to it. I will be up there a minimum of twice a day and probably more. Iwould be interested to know some of your daily routines in the hope of picking up some tips
Many thanks

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Re: Daily Routine
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 07:53:46 pm »
How far away are you from them?

I feed mine in the morning, just a little to keep them social, and go back and give them an apple around tea time. I am in the position that my animals are surrounding me so any problems are picked up quickly.

I do speak to them every time I pass.

Good luck with your pigs, they are soooooo funny!

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 08:06:02 pm »
How exciting Spursman!  My pigs are in my field with the hens and its right by my house.  I give the pigs pellets in he morning, pellets and veg at tea time and then a little bit of veg when the hens are shut in at night.

Good Luck!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 10:18:02 am »
Feed morning and evening, check water again at lunch time, and more in hot weather.  likewise wallows.  However mine are just outside house, so not far to walk.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 10:29:43 am »
I feed ours three times a day, but that's only 'cos I'm here. Twice a day woudl be fine. Plus we chat to them when we're in the gardena nd give them some veg or apples.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 10:51:38 am »
I feed mine twice a day and check water whenever I am passing them.  They are near to the house, so get a lot of attention all the time.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

spursman

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Longclose Pigs
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 01:16:53 pm »
Thank you for the replies. I am about 10 mins max away on foot so I will visit morning, midday and evening. Will be leaving to pick them up shortly and then see how they react to electric fencing. Will stop with them until dark today and see how we go. Will post again to keep you informed on how it goes

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 05:06:31 pm »
My pigs are five miles away and I visit them twice a day. Mornings they have pellets, bread and whatever else I have, also, overgrown courgettes, windfall apples and pears etc. are strewn around their little field to give them something to forage for during the day. Their water is topped up then and also in the evening when they have more pellets.
They have a large plastic box filled with water that they queue up to sit in on hot days also a wallow that gets filled with water in the mornings. they also get a Jaffa Cake each in the evening, don't tell DEFRA!!)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS