Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Waterproofs and wellies  (Read 8703 times)

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Waterproofs and wellies
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2016, 07:12:37 am »
My first pair of Muck boots I was really happy with but they have just gone into the dustbin because, after 2 years use, the soles split from the upper and they leaked badly. Tried glue but it wouldn't bond. Second £70 pair is 3 months old, not of the same quality as the first pair and seems to be going the same way they did!

Have now gone back to £10 boots with added thermal insoles and thick socks for general use.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2016, 08:36:29 am »
Do you know.... the only thing I need is new wellies.... but I have no clue what to buy... I usually buy dunlops from the garden centre, but they split ...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 10:26:32 pm »
Another vote for flexothane trousers and jacket too. I have so far not washed mine I have to say, but cat wee smell is much less of an issue if you have three billy goats that love to get up close and personal with you... but so far no tears in either trousers or jacket after a good year of use (and I just rinse the trousers with a hose while wearing them if totally muddy).

Also sadly have to agree on the declining quality of Muck boots, mine (worn daily for hours though) only last a year or so, and something cracks on them.... with my wide feet and calves I am seriously struggling to get any that fit and are better quality, and I am not prepared to go for Le Chameau or Aigle... yet...

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 06:58:04 am »
with my wide feet and calves I am seriously struggling to get any that fit and are better quality, and I am not prepared to go for Le Chameau or Aigle... yet...

Have you tried Dunlop Purofort, Anke?  They're generous in the calf department - I have chunky calves myself.  When I'm very overweight I turn the tops over ;)

I was told they did a wide leg version, and they certainly used to do ladies as well as men's fit, but I couldn't find any info online about that.   Could be worth talking to a good stockist if the regular fit don't suit you.

(Purofort is a uniquely lightweight insulating material.  The boots are light as a feather, even the safety version, have great grip and wear well.  I'm a fan, wouldn't buy any other.  Can't understand wanting to have pounds of heavy clumpiness to cart around with you!)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2016, 09:12:08 am »
Another dissapointed Muck boot wearer. Need to find an alternative for us very soon

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 01:50:28 pm »
Bekina steplite wellies, best I've worn in last 25 years

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 07:32:10 pm »
Hey

I bought cheap waterproofs last year when we started and they quickly feLL apart. I bought some regatta ones which I thought were better, but it seems they haven't survived the summer, they are falling apart and the leg seam has split.

Any recommendations for waterproof trousers  (and jackets)?  Some good quality ones.

Also looking for recommendations for wellies. I have some Dunlop fleece lined ones but my socks always fall off lol. Any nice warm ones?

Fancy treating myself for a late Christmas.

Dans
Aha I have just the thing for you..... Dad bought me some waterproofs, very good and quite resistant to wear and tear, I love em and they keep me warm..... Flexithane I think they are called. As to wellies I know a guy who sells these quite cheaply and they are excellent quality. They have safety ones and non safety ones "Bekina" they're called and I have not looked back since finding them. They are chemical resistant, very good tread and they are built in a way that they don't split up the back, plus they are fantastic for running in and quite lightweight. My brother swears by them, he works on a dairy farm :) If you like I can give you a contact for someone who sells them, very decent price range they are too!
WBF
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 07:33:12 pm »
sorry just realised other people commented this before me lol  :dunce:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS