Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Problem fuelling a tractor  (Read 2797 times)

Sherbatious border

• Joined Aug 2016
Problem fuelling a tractor
« on: December 05, 2016, 10:24:26 am »
Do any of you have a Yammar compact tractor with the fuel filler right in the middle and if so, what do you do about getting the fuel into it? We are struggling to lift a jerry can high enough and then the fuel comes out before its in position due to the angle. Even with a large funnel it's very difficult. My other half has been studying fuel pumps for days, after getting diesel everywhere last week and we're not sure what's best to do. Pumps seem to fall into two categories, expensive and more powerful than we need, or cheap and maybe rubbish! We just need a tidy way of getting diesel from a large jerry can into the awkwardly placed filler, and not so quickly that it comes splurging out again!

sss

• Joined Mar 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Problem fuelling a tractor
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 03:31:52 pm »
I buy my red in big drums now, and initially used a rotary hand pump to decant into a jerry can.

I then bought one of these cheaply and it has done a marvolous job and no more lugging the jerry can.

Look at this on eBay  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172430400042

Sherbatious border

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 11:40:58 am »
Thank you, my other half was looking at one of those!

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 02:25:13 pm »
When I worked on a golf course we had an old ford which had the fuel cap in that sort of position - after many diesel spills one of the assistants built a refueling platform out of old two by fours that we could stand on to get the height to fill it comfortably ... this worked so well that we were all kicking ourselves for weeks afterwards for not thinking of it sooner

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 07:24:20 pm »
half fill the jerry can and keep the spout at the top with it on its side

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 07:37:42 pm »
seriously though - goto a rally car shop they have pumps for fast fueling vehicles from a jerry can.  you presurise the can with a pump and it pumps it out of a pipe

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 12:28:08 am »
Look in on eBay for 12 /24 volt fuel pumps

Over the years I've used a specific set aside kept clean in a plastic sack 2 gallon watering can with a 2 foot long rubber hose jubilee securely clipped to the spout .

Only half fill the can if it's too heavy . That way you can guide & hold the rubber tube down into the fuel filler hole before you lift your right hand to start pouring .

Warning

In sub zero weather do be very careful for the fuel ( especially petrol ) will often be as cold or even colder than the air temp  & if you are pouring petrol the evaporative effect will drop the fuel temp even lower .
 Getting sub zero fuel soaking through your gloves or clothing is very nasty as you're likely to get instant frost bite & very it's dangerous if your body heat evaporates as you remove the clothing  in the presence of a naked flame or sparks etc.
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2017, 04:14:10 pm »
eBay  322363413941
Seeing Paddy's post made me think of looking for something similar to what I made . 
This  is a five litre handled jug with a flexi spout.. being only five lites it will only weigh about 11 pounds ( 5 kg ) when full  considerable lighter than the 60 or so pound that a full jerry can plus metal spout weight & it's a lot smaller & easier to pour gently .

However having typed the above & pressed save I decided to put something different in the eBay search .. this is much nearer to what I ended up with .

eBay Item   131817886531
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 04:20:37 pm by cloddopper »
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS