Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Moulting in January  (Read 1347 times)

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
Moulting in January
« on: January 14, 2017, 02:04:30 pm »
My 10 month old Sussex Star hen has decided to start a moult - it looks as though there has been a pillow fight in the coop and pen.   As it has only just started, she could have a lot more feathers to lose!  I've ruled out lice and mites and she hasn't been broody so has anyone any ideas as to why this is happening in the middle of winter?
Thanks - am a bit worried TBH. :thinking:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Moulting in January
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 02:23:44 pm »
Moulting out-of-season can be a stress reaction.  Has she been contained because of avian flu whereas she'd normally free range?  Is she being bullied or has she been frightened by a fox, dog or child?  That sort of thing.  I suggest you keep her in a very sheltered spot, with maybe straw bales or similar around the coop and old feed sacks filled with straw on top of the roof to keep in heat but not impede ventilation.  A good thick layer of clean shavings, a small handful of mixed corn before she goes to roost for the night and plenty of fresh water should help her get through it quickly.  Some folks swear by Poultry Spice but I've never used it.

bumpkins

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Petherton, Somerset
  • Don't wait for your ship to come in-swim out to it
Re: Moulting in January
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 04:57:56 pm »
Yes she's penned up with her 5 other flock members.  She's stress free and they're all quite chilled out about being restricted!  I use poultry spice anyway but maybe bullying could be the issue as she is bottom of the pecking order.  certainly worth a thought - thank you Marches Farmer.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS