Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pepe  (Read 3270 times)

peterbaa

• Joined Mar 2010
Pepe
« on: June 13, 2010, 11:04:43 pm »
Hi all I have decided to keep a nice lamb as a pet ( named Pepe),  he was born in February this year so 4 months old I had him castrated by the vet, what I need to know is should he be sheared and it so when, also I have heard that sheep need to be given a worming drench where can this be bought and how often should it be done and any other needs and tips should I need to know about Pepe.

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Pepe
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 01:22:32 pm »
Did you only get one lamb?  Might be a problem as they like their own company and some breeds more prone to escaping.  Having said that if kept with other animals  (horses) he might be ok.  I didn't shear my pet ewe in the first year and she was fine with no problems with flystrike.  Strangely she got a bit the second year when I did shear her.

Depends on breed really and you may just need to dag round bum where he is likely to get mucky.  Speak to vet regarding drench as mine advised doing a worm count before deciding whether to worm as I only have a small flock.  Otherwise you get into worm resistance which will be a future nightmare.

I have a gorgeous Southdown cross ram lamb (castrated) and he is very cuddly and affectionate.  Reckon he knows he is destined for the pot and trying to plead for a reprieve!  Going to break my heart if I have to kill him.  Maybe someone will want him for a pet too or I may have to keep him for my horse.

Good luck with Pepe

peterbaa

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 05:22:12 pm »
Hi Pepe is with other ewes on a farm where I keep Pepe so he has other friends, ok thankx I will not sheer him this year then as you suggest. Ok fine about the worming I will speak to the vet as you suggest.
Your Ram sounds nice and I think you ought to keep him or least find a new home  they make good pets I think your horse would maybe like him as a pet.

I look after a local farmers 3 ewes and a Ram and in return I can keep Pepe there he was this years babies and I asked if I could have him, so now he wears a collar and name tag, I do not do anything with the lambs he sends them away so I do not have anything to do with that part of it. Thanks for your help . . . Peterbaa

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 05:41:52 pm »
I have a pet Shetland castrated boy called Bertie.  He lives with the big goats, a small pony, and the llama.  He was not a cade lamb, just a very friendly one.  People come to the field for a cuddle with him, and he wags his tail, and loves human company.  Only thing is, if he gets out of the field, he wanders off.  Can always find him - give him a shout, and he bleats.  Will walk on a collar and lead with no bother too.

Just a word of warning about the collar.  Not a good idea for sheep, they can soon catch it in fencing etc. and hang themselves. Don't want that to happen to your lovely Pepe.

If Pepe is in with the other sheep, perhaps he could be wormed when the others are done?  Otherwise, it would mean you buying wormer, and a big bottle is not economical for one sheep!!  I have goats a lot of goats too, so a big bottle of wormer is fine for me.

Would be nice to see a photo of Pepe if you can manage it.

peterbaa

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 02:40:53 pm »
Hello and thank you for the info I do understand about collars and thank you for the warning and I have took it off Pepe now. I used to keep goats Muffin, Tammy, Coppa but they got old and we no longer have goats at all now but I miss them and they are wonderful pets, Muffin used to come in the house and he was such a wonderful friendly pet I do miss them so. Oh yes he was a Saarnan and the other 2 Toggenburgs. Pepe is getting more and more friendly and when your cuddling him ( as you do) hey don't everyone cuddle sheep. When you cuddle him he is so relaxed he starts to chew the cudd with his eyes closed. I will get him wormed with the others as you suggest. Do Sheep have the same jabs as goats for (entrotoximia) I think it was called. I can not do a photo of Pepe as I am not too good on this pc thingies and do not know how to put a photo on this message I only know how to send them in an E mail.  :goat:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 10:39:33 pm »
You should Heptavac him (and any other lambs), two doses (under skin) of 2ml four to five weeks apart. If you only have one lamb to do, ask when any farmer nearby is doing theirs, and tag along with Pepe, as otheriwse VERY expensive (2 x 25 sheep dose min you would have to buy...)

peterbaa

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 09:34:57 pm »
Thank you and I will see about this right away what does this actualy prevent or treat for . . .

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 10:28:58 pm »
Heptavac P+ vaccinates against most of the clostridial diseases, also tetanus, enterotoxeamia. Not quite sure what the others are, but if you google it you will find the info you need. I have just done mine today. They will need a second dose in 4 - 5 weeks time to ensure immunity. Best to do it into the skin under their "armpit" (i.e. just behind the front leg, as there is usually a bare patch of skin. Lift up skin to form a "tent" and then put SMALL and thin needle into this fold of skin. I get "puppy" size needles (LUER 0.8 x 16mm, or 21Gx 5/8" in old money) from my vet surgery, as the ones in the merchants are quite thick

There are other vaccines for this kind of thing. Best to talk to your nearest sheep farmer and see what they are using, or your vet.

How many have you got to do?

peterbaa

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 11:30:47 am »
Hello thank you for all the info very useful about the injections, I have 5 to do . . .

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS