Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Permitted development rights Help!  (Read 12117 times)

caz

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Permitted development rights Help!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 11:11:21 pm »
Permitted development under the town and country planning act requires that you have 12.5 acres and that the development is for agricultural use, ie a barn etc. Horses are not defined as agricultural. You'll find pretty much everything you need to know at http://www.fieldtofarm.com/forum/
Horse are classed as agricultural activities in some instances such as working horses and horses used for grazing, theres a few other exceptions cant think of them off the top of my head

caz

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 11:12:43 pm »
Parcels of land all have to all be within 5 mile radius and total 12.5 acres.

Ta

Baz

Oh that is very interesting as we have another 6 acres less than 5 mile away, food for thought,

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 12:48:56 am »
I have tried here for permitted development rights .....but horses are domestic pets it seems.  Your best chance is if you have a hedge or trees to hide your stables, not try and get it bang in the middle of the field or something.  I have noticed at least here, that as a horse owner I have to pay a lot of money in comparison to a farmer for planning.

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 06:00:20 pm »
Hi I have just experienced this myself. I have 4 acres and I can tell you categorically that unless you can prove the horses are in no way used for equestrian activities ie ridden then you will have to apply for change  of use. Also you can try to argue a shelter  as mobile therefore not requiring permission BUT only when you have change of use and they will monitor the size and the fact you move it. I had to go down the full planning route which took 2 yrs. Good luck! 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS