Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Home made chicken feed  (Read 2143 times)

Imafluffybunny

• Joined Aug 2014
Home made chicken feed
« on: January 13, 2017, 11:32:44 am »
I changed my chickens onto a home made feed a few months ago, pretty quickly they looked healthier, one small hen who has always looked thrifty has put on weight and has really shiny feathers and egg production picked up even though we were coming into winter.
Now they are all stuck inside I am worrying about protein levels. Normally they free range in the fields so have good access to grass and bugs.
They currently get spouted oats and barley, black sunflower seeds and micronised linseed. Protein levels average about 14% which I know is lower than ideal but with bugs etc they seemed to do really well.
Is there anything else I can add in to increase protein? I see soya is high in protein but ideally would like to keep them soya free if possible.
I have been giving them reduced fish from the supermarket and scraps but it isn't really enough long term.
Any advise would be appreciated.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Re: Home made chicken feed
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2017, 01:37:05 pm »
Ever thought of farming bugs for them.

I have done it before with meal worms .

One tray has the worms swimming in dried oats,
One tray has the beetles
and the last try has the pupa.

Let a portion of the worms grow to the pupa stage and the rest of the worms you give to the birds.

Too many could cause constipation in small birds

davet

• Joined Sep 2016
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2017, 03:35:55 pm »
I don't know for sure how real or common this is, but it put me off the idea:

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/feeder/717991-mealworm-allergy-cautionary-tail.html

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2017, 10:00:19 pm »
How about rearing some crickets or locusts then?

Locusts would keep hens entertained!!

Bonzie

• Joined Dec 2016
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 10:14:47 pm »
I feed an all grain diet as well and for extra protein I feed yellow split peas (lidl) and sardines, boil the peas for 20 minutes and put them in the food processor with the sardines and whiss them up.

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 11:33:56 pm »

I have been giving them reduced fish from the supermarket and scraps but it isn't really enough long term.

Isn't that illegal ?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 08:46:15 am »

Isn't that illegal ?

Yes. Any food that has been in contact with food intended for human consumption that has been processed. Anything from a shop or your kitchen is out. It's ok to feed scraps/peelings from veg from your own garden that have been processed out with your kitchen/food prep area.
 Although in reality many people feed scraps from plates, stale bread, etc,

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS