Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goat containment.  (Read 4400 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Goat containment.
« on: January 12, 2017, 01:30:11 pm »
Now it seems we have won the war with Rododendron poisoning   thoughts are on how to contain goats.  Does anyone use hurdles (alpaca ?)   If so where do you get them from ?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Goat containment.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 02:51:19 pm »
Electric fence, mains powered.

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 03:58:12 pm »
Electric fence on its own is no use.  I have 5 strands, 10,000 volts - and does not keep the billies in!
4 foot stock fencing with 2 strands of electric works well for me.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2017, 08:19:07 pm »

4 foot stock fencing with 2 strands of electric works well for me.
Defiantly this , same setup here.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2017, 01:15:36 pm »
I have stock fence with one strand electric about a foot in front of stock fence, depends on length needed but my fence is battery powered. once touched extreme respect.
I have to admit some of my stock fence isnt tight, but 1 strand in front keeps them from standing on it as well. (when kids are about I put a lower strand on)

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 06:48:57 am »
Same as phb but only around the garden, the rest they trim the hedges neatly for me, just need to do the tops. I use a small solar panel to keep the battery topped up, same as the pig fence.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 04:56:07 pm »
I think goats are harder to keep in than pigs!

I took my two nannies and three kids last year to my field in the village. Probably not even a quarter of a mile away. Lots of grass and very well stock fenced.  By the time I had driven two miles to my Mothers the pub rang to say the two nannies were on the car park next to the field and were determined to come home. I set off back and got another call to say they couldn't keep them on the car park and they had taken themselves home along the right side of the road. I arrived back to find the two nannies on the yard eating haylage completely not bothered about their kids, which I had to go and fetch.

Mine like to go for walks with me and the dogs, which is fine around home but I have to lock them in if I want to leave the place or they just find a way to follow.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 02:28:25 pm »
I think goats are harder to keep in than pigs!

I took my two nannies and three kids last year to my field in the village. Probably not even a quarter of a mile away. Lots of grass and very well stock fenced.  By the time I had driven two miles to my Mothers the pub rang to say the two nannies were on the car park next to the field and were determined to come home. I set off back and got another call to say they couldn't keep them on the car park and they had taken themselves home along the right side of the road. I arrived back to find the two nannies on the yard eating haylage completely not bothered about their kids, which I had to go and fetch.

Mine like to go for walks with me and the dogs, which is fine around home but I have to lock them in if I want to leave the place or they just find a way to follow.
What sort of fence did you have in the village field?
Would normal 4 foot high stock fence with no extra electric, potentially only strand of plain wire on top, keep them in? What gate would you use? Would wooden one made of pallet (four foot high again) work??
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2017, 12:27:27 am »
I have five foot wooden fences - fence posts and cross bars. There are all sorts of goodies in sight but they never try to get out. MInd you, it's amazing how far they can stretch their necks through to reach the nearest veggie bed.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 03:14:06 pm »
Just thought of something today:
Does anyone use heras fencing to keep goats in? Would they be good? Also would they be good for horned goats or better for polled only?
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 07:28:55 pm »
I did meet someone who used it, they said it was good because they could move to round the field every few days. Can't see it being a problem for horned, quite smallish mesh isn't it?

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 08:40:47 pm »
I would imagine big enough to put horns through but definitely not head.
I like their height

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 06:24:18 am »
As long as it's fixed well enough not to tip when the goats all put their feet up on it at the same time.
What gauge mesh is it, would it stand head butting?

You'd need a fair lot for a decent sized paddock.  Ordinary stock fence with a plain top wire works fine as long as it's got good posts.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS