Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rosa Rugosa  (Read 1849 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Rosa Rugosa
« on: June 16, 2010, 04:55:43 pm »
 :-[

My garden was neglected for a good 15 years or so before I started work on it with only minimal maintenance to cut grass. So I have been working all spring to try to clear it out - bearing in mind it is an acre with our house in the centre. I have been cutting back bushes that are taller than the house, trimming back weeds, re-edging drives and borders . . .

Anyway, in front of the house there is a half circle bed, about 6ft deep and 9 m in diameter, that was planted with rosa rugosa as a 'ground cover' to keep weeds away since there was no one to maintain it. When I moved in this was probably about 1 m high dense thicket full of brambles and nettles and these nasty thorny roses  :-[ 

I paid 2 men to clear it for me and remove 75% of the roses - it took them about 4 days last year - then I cut all the roses that were left down to the ground. Well they started growing again early this year, and now I have practically a while bed of them again - blooming suckers everywhere, and they are bushing out and taking over all the new plants I put around them.

Does anyone have experience of these blasted plants - is it possible to contain them or am I better off just digging them all out?

I really do hate them  >:(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Rosa Rugosa
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 05:27:53 pm »
Dig them out - it's the only way.  They are invasive.  I hate them too, in fact I hate all roses particularly those with thorns. >:(
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Rosa Rugosa
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:40:03 pm »
but they'll make lovely rosehip syrup and wine later on in the year!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS