Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Childhood memories  (Read 2289 times)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Childhood memories
« on: June 03, 2010, 10:04:12 am »
We were in the big shed t'other day and I stood and counted the sorts of milk in plastic bottles and waxed cardboard cartons This may be wrong I may miss 1 but there was Blue cap Pasteurized whole milk Green cap Semi skimmed Red cap Skimmed Gold cap Jersey milk.Now the was Sterilised Homogenised milk UHT milk in all sorts of capacity.I didn't see any whey though.There was Cream Double cream Soured cream and Creme fraiche to say nothing of countless sorts of Yogurt's I can remember when Harry came with his oval shaped milk pails with 3 dippers  1/3 1/2 and 1pint hung in one of the pails.Now Maudie what is it today are you mekin Bill a rice puddin? He would measure out the amount Mother asked for into the milk jug It held about a gallon and was kept on the slab in the dairy which one went down 4 steps to enter.and it was always cool in there.This milk was milk straight from the cow ower the cooler and into a churn brought round from this mornings milking We didn't have a farm cow at that time it was in the 1940's.At this time of year the milk would go sour quickly if it did a flour bag (flour came in linen/cotton bags at that time and they were washed out and saved) was got and held over a basin and the lumpy milk poured in the string pulled to close the neck and then hung in the apple tree a couple of days.This made cream cheese to which various things could be added Chopped chives was a favourite and if a tin of pineapple was to be had a couple of cubes would be saved they would be eaten as a sweet by Billy and I if no milk went sour if it did Mother would chop the cubes to as small as she could and add it  to the cream cheese making it pineapple a rare treat them days.Should Granny have a garlic to spare one of them was used some times but I liked and still do chive flavour best.I cannot do it myself now because pasteurised milk wont go to the same sour.So I have to be content with Philly The stuff called cottage cheese in plastic tubs is nothing like what I'm telling you about.I must call on some pals at Gainsborough way and see if I can get half a gallon from the bulk tank next time I go past.Then I will have a go and drift back to my childhood See if I can remember other things to tell you about :D :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Childhood memories
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 11:30:55 am »
Do you know Wizard, I was just thinking about milk "in the olden days" yesterday.  What prompted this, was my buying a plastic bottle of Jersey milk for my weetabix.  I cannot tolerate a lot of cows milk, but although I know it is likely to make me feel really ill, I do have a little treat now and again ....and hope for the best.

Anyway, to me, its very disappointing. Not got that nice rich yellow colour (have they taken all the cream out?) and the taste is not as I remember.  As a child, an elderly aunt who I visited every Saturday, used to have the milkman deliver one bottle of Gold top Jersey milk. It was a proper milk bottle.  The cream was deep, the milk was yellow.  I loved that milk. Every other day, Auntie had delivered a bottle of sterilised milk, with the cap you needed a bottle opener for - I hated that milk.

We had a house cow many years ago that was a Jersey.  Oh that milk was yellow and rich, and out of this world.

My Grandad and uncle had a milk round in the 1940's/50's with a horse and trap going round the villages. They took churns, and ladies left covered jugs on the door step, and my uncles job as a youngster was to use the ladles to serve the milk.  Cannot see them getting away with that nowadays, with all the hygiene rules, but in theose days, it was the norm.

We have one farm near us bottling his own milk still. But I notice he has gradually gone over to the plastic bottles.  I am adamant that it does not taste the same as it did in the bottles.

At one time, you just got milk, now in the supermarket, there is such a vast array of choice, whole milk, semi, skimmed, soya, all sorts of things.  Needless to say I only buy "proper" milk.

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 11:44:49 am »
perhaps they pasteurize it Roxy ? that would make it taste different!!! not sure on the colour difference,  maybe it changes that too?
 Maybe George will know that , or one of his mates ?
 Up until about 10 years ago we got our milk straight from the farm in bottles , it was just ordinary milk (I think they had Fresian cows ? ), just chilled not pasteurized , and it was much yellower and thicker than 'normal' milk , and tasted totally different .

cheers

Russ

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 01:46:53 pm »
Hello both.Well Milk is heated to 161 degrees F for 15-20 seconds to pasteurise it.This of course alters the structure and hence a change in colour.Roxy you mention proper milk bottles !The sort with a cardboard seal with a half inch circle in the center which you pushed in when the bottle was empty you removed it from the bottle removed the circle and washed the top clean Then you threaded wool through the hole and through the hole and made Pom-Poms.Ends of coloured wool was a valuable swop item in the 1940's  Them were the days  :D :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 08:30:31 am »
Did you do French knitting Did you call it french knitting ? To do French knitting you require a cotton bobbin 4 3/4" panel pin type nails a bodkin and wool.Hammer the nails into one end of the bobbin equally around the hole they must be equally spaced, some wool and a bodkin Pass the wool down through the hole and wind a course of wool around the nails  then again take the bodkin and pass the bottom wool over the top row and keep turning the bobbin so there is always a top and bottom row of wool gently pull the tail of the wool and when you have done enough a 1/4" thick piece of wool comes away from the bottom of the bobbin We used to see who could make the longest piece then one of the girls would make a Benny hat or a tea cosy with it :D :farmer: :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS