Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: If you were a Kunie Kunie what would your ideal arc be like?  (Read 5154 times)

wolfie

• Joined May 2008
We have "accidentally" bought a 2 year old kune  boar, having no experience of keeping pigs whatsoever, but plenty of space, the current owners are keeping him whilst I sort out building the accomodation.....any advice please?

Malc

• Joined Oct 2007
    • The Edge of Nowhere
Re: If you were a Kunie Kunie what would your ideal arc be like?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 10:28:37 pm »
If you have the woodwork skills, you could build your own, but timber is a helluva price these days. A small arc would be perfect. There are several places supplying them these days.

I've just bought two self-assembly arcs from Bidgiemire who are near Biggar in the Scottish borders. They've been more than helpful and their smallest arc is around £200 - when taking time and effort into consideration, I can't beat that.

Having said that, a pig is happy as long as it has anywhere warm, dry and draught-free.

How, exactly, do you 'accidentally' buy a boar - they hardly slip into the shopping bag by mistake!  I'd love to know.  :D

countrygirlatheart

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 11:19:32 pm »
just had a nosey at the Bidgiemire site - pig keeping courses sound great - might give that a go later in the year

Andrew

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 10:10:39 am »
I went to Bidgiemire's course in March and can highly recommend it. Both Linda and Graham are very knowledgable and helpful. We have actually just ordered our arc and two tamworth weaners from them and  they should be arriving next week.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 05:24:38 pm »
Hi, Andrew

They will soon clear the bracken!

Rosemary

Farmer Giles

• Joined Dec 2007
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 09:05:15 am »
Just for anyone who may be interested or in need or just want to chat arky talk (and a bit of a plug seeing as Bidgiemire has been mentioned) I am the agent for Bidgiemire arcs here in France since well before they invented the wheel!!

OK OK maybe not that long but a goodly while al't same lad!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 01:59:49 pm »
Glad you're back, FG

How is Mrs Bubbles De Vere?

wolfie

• Joined May 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 10:51:01 pm »
Thankyou all for the advice. The boar plan had to be scuppered after some research, but we have now bought two 12 week old gilts who will be our breeding sows next spring, In the end after looking at lots of websites  and a few books I bought 4 sheets of  curved corrugated coated steel and 8 sheets of marine ply plus 2x 4 for sleds. One 7 ft by 8 ft arc worked out at £174plus 1 1/2 days of my own labour. The pigs are settled and seem very happy. Thanks again. Incidentally didn't get a promised phone call from a a paint supplier about safety data on the paint. Rang back and got an apology and suppressed laughter, a message had been left with the tech dept....-phone Mr Wolf re pig housing.... which of course they had ignored thinking it was a wind-up.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 08:34:07 am »
This made me laugh. I used to work for a major food retailer in the days when suppliers dealt with buyers in each store. One day we has a call over the tannoy "Telephone call for Mr Johnston. Mars calling"

There was also an old joke, usually played by old store staff on new staff in new stores; the old store would call the new store and ask them to put out a call asking customers if there was a Mr Dick Pullar in store, and could he come to the back of the checkouts. Heyho, we were simple folk!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS