Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: mower tyres for rough and hilly areas.  (Read 2166 times)

ukwoody

• Joined Dec 2016
mower tyres for rough and hilly areas.
« on: December 18, 2016, 07:36:13 pm »
Good evening all, I now live on a farm, though do not own nor farm it. However, I do have a 1/5th of an acre to clear for myself plus quite a few grass areas to mow (driveway, rough area in front of house etc).  I have been given by a friend a 2005 Westwood s1300 mower/tractor with trailer   The grass here is quite rough as is the ground.  I need to also go across a couple of fairly hilly fields to collect some small logs with the trailor attached for my log burner.
Currently there are some 20x8 Turf Mate tyres fitted which have to be replaced. Bearing in mind the grass areas are not lawns, and the damp (this is Wales,lol) hilly fields here, which type of tyre tread do you think I should go for please?  Do I really need the "tractor" Tractive chevron type tyres or will stud tyres do?
Many thanks for you help
Woody

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: mower tyres for rough and hilly areas.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2016, 07:21:39 pm »
difficult to say as it depends on how hilly your hills are, how wet you hills are, how muddy your hills are - etc.

If you're only running over grassy fields occasionally when it's dry you'll likely find regular turf tyres are fine. If you're running regularly and the tracks are turning to mud, or in the wet when they'll quickly turn to mud, then tractor tread will help get you though.

I find my quad (4x4) copes fine on steep hills (like ' aargh it's going to tip over!' steep) with less than 1/4" of tread left on the tyres, but I only go on the steep hills when it's properly dry (even here in wales we do get dry spells - although dry weather doesn't always mean dry ground).

The other factor you may have to consider if you're driving in the wet is the ground pressure of your mower//tractor - my quad has floatation tyres running at 3psi so it doesn't sink in too much if I do have to go through a bog - i don't know about your mower.

ukwoody

• Joined Dec 2016
Re: mower tyres for rough and hilly areas.
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 12:17:55 pm »
Sorry for late replay. Thank you very much for your help. Much appreciated. I'm up the road in Pembs by the way :-)
Happy new year

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS