Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking for a compact tractor near Chepstow  (Read 2118 times)

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
Looking for a compact tractor near Chepstow
« on: December 16, 2016, 01:29:59 pm »
Hi all

As title - I'm looking for a Kubota or similar compact tractor (15 - 25hp maybe) near Chepstow. A topper / flail mower of some sort would be great too. Budget is about £2500 - so I don't mind too much what it looks like as long as it works and is reliable! Does anyone have one, or know of a good source? I'm looking at ebay, farmingads, free ads etc.

Cheers,

Giles

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
Re: Looking for a compact tractor near Chepstow
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 10:44:29 pm »
The problem you have here is that 2.5k isnt much for a compact tractor, so trying to get a topper as well in that budget is optimistic ... how far are you willing to travel ?  My landlords son buys and sells tractors as a businmess so i could ask him if he has or knows of anything but we are down on the devon/somerset border (not far from j26 of the m5)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 09:18:59 am »
There are monthly auctions of kit at Shobdon in Herefordshire - lots of ex-local Council small tractors sometimes (Brightwells auctioneers).

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 11:37:55 am »
Thanks all.

I could go a bit higher if necessary - I've been offered a Yanmar 1600 and topper for 3k delivered, which doesn't sound too bad, though it is an older tractor, obviously.

BSM, if you wouldn't mind asking, that would be great - but I may be too far away for it to be economic.

Cheers. :thumbup:

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 06:08:09 pm »
Hes milking at the moment but i'll ask him later on - if he did have anything i could probably stick it on a trailer and meet you halfway or something.  That said if the yanmarr is in ok condition i'd go with that rather than waiting.

I had a look at farm autotrader earlier on and the only cheaper ones were in shaftsbury  or malmesbury , and weren't significantly cheaper, apart from a really elderly one that was 1500 quid without a topper 

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 09:02:53 pm »
OK. I'll probably just go for the Yanmar.

Thanks for the offer, but a bit of a faff to organise.

big soft moose

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 09:36:38 pm »
Well I asked but he doesn't have anything suitable anyway , he only deals in big tractors - he has a Claas, two MFs, a JCB fast trac, a manitou telehandler , and the smallest he currently has a Ford 5000 , none of them fall within your needs or price range.

He did say that he knows a bloke near Taunton who has a Ford 1210 for sale in your price range, but he also went on to say that  in his opinion its a heap of fail that's held together with duct tape and good will , and is generally best avoided unless you very good mechanically band even then only if you are desperate.

Sorry I couldn't be more help

sandspider

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Bristol
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 10:37:30 pm »
Given the description of "a heap of fail" I think I'll give the ford a miss!

No worries, thank you for trying. :thumbs up:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS