Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vorwerk chickens  (Read 2288 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Vorwerk chickens
« on: November 23, 2016, 03:27:07 pm »
I was reading recently that Vorwerk chickens lay throughout the winter. I have been looking at getting some especially for that purpose, however my only concern is that their egg numbers are quite low. Can anyone make any suggestions as to whether there are other breeds besides these who lay throughout the winter and have a higher percentage?
Many thanks :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Vorwerk chickens
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 03:41:08 pm »
To be honest all breeds will lay as long as you give them extra light.
I wanna do that with my ones as they stopped laying for now.
They say dorking lay well through the winter.
The only hen I had which kept laying all the way through the winter (only stopped for about two weeks!!!) Was white commercial leghorn. She was fantastic! I wish I had more of them lol
And the thing is she kept laying without any artificial light at all!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 05:12:55 pm »
I raise mostly rare breed large soft-feathered fowl and find that if I time it right the first hatch of the year will start laying about now and carry on until they moult the following summer.  I don't set eggs until lambing's finished, though, so if we decide to lamb late it doesn't work out.  We keep birds for only 18 months then sell them on, as we find young birds cope best with our exposed hilltop.   I prefer not to give additional light.

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 10:14:18 am »
i let my hens rest over winter and believe it prolongs the life of the bird and egg laying abilities (all though i dont have the reasearch to prove this)
i had some ehgg laying birds that with a mixed flock of pure breds and they where still laying 5 eggs a week so beleive the rest of winter did them good

i have some IG x LS HENS and some young coucou de renne none of which have started laying as yet but hoping after xmas they will start throwing them out

follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS