Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: peace and quiet all gone  (Read 3916 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
peace and quiet all gone
« on: June 03, 2010, 06:34:53 pm »
Today our neighbours switched on their new wind turbine...
we did not object to the plans as only the farm at the bottom of the hill was supposed to see a revolving tip (we see the whole head), the noise was supposed to be not worth considering..now is the thing much closer to us than it appeared on the plan or maybe I'm just rubbish at map reading, but it makes noises in different frequencies, some sound like a whole load of ducks flying by. I spend so much time in my garden, I feel like crying just now as there is nothing we can do than try really hard to get used to it... :'( :&>

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
Re: peace and quiet all gone
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 06:42:12 pm »
And what good is it any way?That rubbish thing they have at RC 6kw on a windy day.Not enough to drive 2 decent electric fires on a winters day.Certainly not enough to cook Sunday lunch.Then there is the noise. But its helping the environment ah bloody ah I can see those that work on tidal flow being a useful thing But wind mills who is kidding who.Have you seen the price of a good one say 20kw? ??? ??? ??? :farmer: :wave:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 07:04:17 pm »
I would have the planners check to see if it is in the right place, from experience the constuction workers are the ones that are not good map readers.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 07:17:51 pm »
oh, it's a big one, 22 meters tall and they put it up themselves, this sort of being their business... :&>

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2010, 09:13:20 pm »
Phone the planners seriously! if these people are experienced at putting these up they may be know how noisy they are and moved a bit of plan, not being a cynic just understand how peoples minds think. Get the planners out and check the exact postion compared to the application.

You may also consider phoning environmental health or whichever body it is within your local council.

DO NOT SUFFER IN SILENCE!! YOU HAVE RIGHTS! even if planning has been granted, i do not know for fact but perhaps you can argue that thez noise is an unknown quantity, its not like erecting a barn or building an extension, becasue you have definate expectations of the end result.

fingers crossed WP :wave:

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 09:30:09 am »
Planning department as surely it is not as described and planned and then enviromental health as the noise was not supposed to be an issue. >:( It always annoys me when people slap up some building or structure and never give the full details. Another thing to check with the planners is this the actual model of turbine that was originally granted on planning or a newer or variant model. :(

HappyHippy

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2010, 09:35:16 am »
I'm all for wind turbines (sorry :-[) but didn't realise they made a lot of noise :(
I'd definately be getting the plans and siting of it double checked - they possibly only got PP because of the siting, away from other properties etc. If it turns out they've changed the plans they could well be made to re-site it. A call to your local duty planning officer will get the ball rolling. Good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2010, 10:51:17 am »
There are ways that they can reduce the noise on wind turbines, its worth contacting your neighbour and explaining that the repetitive noise is too much for you and you would like them to look into changing the pitch or installing some kind of noise dampers on the blades.

Ta

Baz

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 11:49:52 am »
we have 12 wind turbines in view, perhaps 1/4 mile away. I have stood under them many times and have never heard much noise. Perhaps there is something wrong with your one?

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 05:14:26 pm »
I don't have an issue with them as such (or I would have opposed the application as a lot of people do on whatever funny grounds they have) , but it is much closer to my house than anticipated and it bl...does make a lot of noise. It's off again today, hopefully something wasn't quite right. Hubby thinks the SW  wind yesterday carried the noise straight here, too. But I will look at the plans again. :&>

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 05:39:42 pm »
NFD Some folk are deaf to certain frequencies,or at least pretend they are there is no one as deaf as someone who doesn't want to hear. There are lots now in Lincolnshire.I have never heard a quiet on Fibber yes I have when the come of the docks at Immingham.Jackie will be able to tell you all about them later when one is holding her up at the R/A just down the road from her ??? ;) :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 09:45:43 pm »
You should contact Environmental Health and note the wind direction whenever it is noisy. They sh(w)ould come out pretty quickly I think, it is their legal duty to investigate noise complaints.

Oh yes, and get the planners to come out (as well as building control) to clarify that it is in the right place and the right model etc etc.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 02:08:58 pm »
Hubby met the engineers the other day and they said they had to adjust the blades. It was off and on for some days, some days hardly noticeable, some days annoying...today it sounds like a distant swarm of bees, I can bear that if it stays like this...I'll keep my ears focused  :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS