Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: planning permission for shipping containers  (Read 8036 times)

Dm101

• Joined Oct 2016
planning permission for shipping containers
« on: October 30, 2016, 09:32:54 am »
Hi all this is my first post I hope someone can help me.

I have owned an 8 acre Feild for approx 6 years and have had 2  8ftx20ft shipping containers down there on beams, also a log cabin. I had applied for planning for a house. I have been told I would never be able to build on there but now they have turned round and told me I need planning for the containers and cabin.

Does anyone have any information that may help me as I cannot find any useful info on there planning website. I'm located in St Neots Cambridgeshire.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: planning permission for shipping containers
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 05:25:38 pm »
 The planners will never tell you how to get round things.
 Google - "permitted development" especially in relation to mobile structures, log cabins, temporary buildings etc or any other description that could apply.
 Also look up "certificate of lawfulness."
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 05:27:52 pm by landroverroy »
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 09:50:47 pm »
Go on google earth see if you can get dated photos of buildings containers in place more than 4 years ago
or if you have dated photos yourself
If no enforcement action has taken  place within 4 years ,buildings become exempt from enforcement action.
If they have been there longer inform council get witness statements and sit tight.

A few years ago i was about to purchase a 19 acre site with intention of starting a garden centre council
told me same, noway would it get planning green belt i pulled out of purchase.

They immediately stepped in and purchased it
Then built a crematorium  on the site  :'(
Read  below click  attachment
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 10:25:19 pm by mart6 »

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 01:50:45 pm »
definitely be looking at certificate of lawfulness, dated photos, etc... would be most useful in proving your case

Dm101

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 05:09:05 pm »
Thank you for the info. I've had a meeting today with the planning enforcement officer I did Mention the 4 year rule but he was not sure if that would stand mmm. I'm going to wait until they get back to me to see what they say then I can put a case together.

Thank you once again for the info very helpful from both of you cheers

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 06:03:17 pm »
Thank you for the info. I've had a meeting today with the planning enforcement officer I did Mention the 4 year rule but he was not sure if that would stand mmm. I'm going to wait until they get back to me to see what they say then I can put a case together.

Dont worry what he says
read attachment at end of my previous post print a copy off and give it to the enforcement officer, in person is best then watch his face.

I  had a enforcement notice served and the enforcement officer was a dipstick
The planning inspector quashed the notice and pulled council to bits
Keep us posted  if you need any help give me a shout,and if he tries it on just say you will appeal any enforcement action
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 06:50:47 pm by mart6 »

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 12:06:13 am »
Not St Neots but East Cambs. My neighbour has got his new bungalow passed under the four year rule. His home is static caravans, two cut together, obviously not mobile. He used FB, google earth etc to provide evidence that they had been there for over four years. So any photos receipts for their purchase delivery would be evidence. The new bungalow is a replacement. If you look on East Cambs planning portal, put in Grunty Fen and look on recent approvals and its on there.
  The planning officer was actually helpful in his case.

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 09:36:41 am »

Think you can guess where this is going, hes not sure ,its his job he knows ...lol
One bit of advise i would record conversations and inform him you are.
Dont be taken in by a friendly attitude.
I have seen the head planning officer lie  along with planning officer and enforcement officer when things were not going their way.
They normally visit in pairs then its your word against two what was said,
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 09:40:18 am by mart6 »

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 11:57:25 am »
I think people assume that planning officers and enforcement officers know all of planning law, like expecting a police officer to know all of criminal law.
It just isn't the case, but i doubt they will often admit so

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 12:08:31 pm »
I think people assume that planning officers and enforcement officers know all of planning law, like expecting a police officer to know all of criminal law.
It just isn't the case, but i doubt they will often admit so
Some do not even know the basics in my experience.
How can a enforcement officer do his job if he does not know the law ? hes the person that accuses you of wrong doing.

When enforcement officer delivered my enforcement notice by hand he came with his boss.
I told her straight the guy was clueless and why were they paying him.

She replied its the planning officers job to verify whats legal.. lol

To which i replied  you are well stuffed then he is more clueless, spent hour and half in office arguing in the end he got planning law book out , guess who was wrong

If you ever get served a enforcement notice do not be afraid to appeal it, if you do not it stays with the property for life and affects its value
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 12:10:23 pm by mart6 »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS