Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats with no tags  (Read 2206 times)

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
Goats with no tags
« on: October 17, 2016, 10:29:57 am »
I've got a friend who has had 4 young (he thinks) goats arrive on his place. I did post this on another forum and at the time didn't think he had CPH or a flock number but it turns out he has. He's at the other end of the UK from me and haven't seen him for a couple years. He has no stock at the moment other than these 4 goats which he is quite taken with.  He cannot find the owner and thinks they were dumped. I think they are AN boys so of little worth but he says they are doing a cracking job on his thistles!

Where does he go from here? He asked me but I have as yet no experience with tags etc. as only done poultry. He wants to keep them and has been told to just put red tags in them?? Surely Defra would want to know how they arrived in his field should they inspect?

He's worried that if he 'turns them in' they'll be carted off and he wants to keep them. Anyone help?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Goats with no tags
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 10:55:13 am »
Unless they are tagged there is little point in Defra taking a look. If he is prepared to keep them then I would register as a goat keeper so he can get tags, explain how he came by them and I am sure no-one is going to cart them off.

He does need to think what he is going to do with four billies though  :thinking:

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 11:15:02 am »
Where is the other end of the country? Maybe someone local to him could pop in and advise and reassure him, also help with the tagging as that's a scary task for a novice!
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 11:25:25 am »
Entire boys???? Four of them???? He will be popular with the neighbours...

AN boys will grow big, well over 100kgs... but if they are not that old (and castrated), they do make exceptional curries and slow-cooked (as in falling-off-the-bone) leg joints... a very ethical solution to a possible problem he may face once the thistles are mostly gone. 4 boys will go through a lot of hay over winter.

If he is unsure about the age - checking the teeth (same as for sheep) will be a good age indicator.

Red tags are the only official option - his local Trad standards (or ARAMS) or in Scotland it would be SAMU will be able to help. I am sure it can be sorted.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2016, 11:29:52 am »
Thanks all, they are not entire so shouldn't be too smelly! I'll pass on the comments.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 12:15:10 pm »
Our local council environmental Health dept covers animals, the chap was very helpful when I 'aquired' a sheep who just turned up and stayed, (many years ago), helped me with paperwork and phone numbers needed. I think neighbours must have told him, because he came knocking on the door asking if I had any animals! (she was the first I had here).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS