Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pig questions!  (Read 3623 times)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Pig questions!
« on: January 03, 2014, 08:05:52 pm »
Ok, so baby pigs are now 6 weeks old and feeding well and I have a couple of questions about the next step.

Firstly are they ready to have the mum taken away from them?
Secondly, as I have two bigger pigs (4/5 months old) would it be alright to put the sow out with them or would there be bloodshed?
Finally, if I've been told correct I believe she'll come in season just after I take her from piglets. Now if I did put her with the younger ones is she going to flatten them when she comes in season? They are all girls but mamma sow is no light weight!

Hoping for advice, thanks
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 08:25:17 pm by Sbom »

Bodger

• Joined Jul 2009
Re: Pig questions!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 08:20:02 pm »
I weaned mine at 8 weeks and pigs come into season three or four days after their piglets are weaned.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 10:37:22 pm »
Weaned our last lot at 7 weeks and put the sow straight back in with the boar. I wanted to wean them a bit earlier as they were eating well but she wasn't ready to leave them so didn't force the issue. If you put your sow in with the smaller/younger pigs she should be fine so long as they have room to get out of the way if she does get grumpy.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 11:17:34 pm »
Thanks, might leave them til next weekend.
Not sure yet if we want to put her straight back in pig.... If I move her with other pigs its a big outside area but only has one 6x6ark, do you think they'd share?

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 11:29:42 pm »
How about a break for mama pig !!!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 11:35:01 pm »
That's what I'm trying to sort!!
 Just want to do it the best way for all concerned  :thumbsup:

Humblepie

• Joined Dec 2013
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 12:00:57 am »
its common practise with smallholders to wean piglets at 7 weeks then sell at 8 weeks so you know they are eating well before they leave.
when are you planning to breed again?

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 12:19:30 am »
I usually wean the piglets off my girls at 7 weeks - it can start dragging mum's condition down if they are left on her for much longer & the piglets really don't need to be suckling after that age. 

I have found with my girls that they know when they've had enough - they just lay on their bellies & refuse to roll-over to nurse (ear protectors highly recommended!) & when mum's given the opportunity to go back in with the herd she's off - can't say I blame her really with all those teeth  ;D
 :love: :pig: :love:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 10:19:13 am »
We wean at roughly 7wks depending on condition of sow.
We take the sow from the piglets so as to minimise stress for them, we then give the sow time on her own as she will be incredibly grumpy, full of milk and uncomfortable so not a good time to mix her with others, we usually let them have a couple of seasons  to gain condition before putting them back to the boar. One her milk bag has gone down and she's dried up you can mix her with others but bear in mind if they're smaller than her she will establish seniority by bullying at meal times and possibly keeping them out of their house, can she not be penned in another house near them? in sight of but out of harms way.
HTH
mandy :pig:

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 10:22:36 am »
Thanks, that seems conclusive, will leave them another week and then move mamma away. I wonder if I can get OH to knock up another ark.......then I can put her with others separated with electric fence and in her own pen....

Thanks muchly!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 09:45:47 am »
I agree with Mandy, except that I do put my sows straight back to the bar - fertility can suffer if they're left too long and we're trying to keep the rarest of the GOS female bloodlines going so working against the clock. 

Cloverbeswick

• Joined Oct 2016
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 10:50:51 pm »
Beewyched, im new on here but i have some information you may be very interested in. I've tried to message you but i'm told i'm not allowed to send private messages. I understand if you ignore this message but i believe we have someone from your past in common.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS