Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new arrivals  (Read 4413 times)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: new arrivals - update
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 04:40:34 pm »
Well they do follow the bucket quite well now, and one will roll over to have her belly scratched - need a bit more time with the other.

The downside of letting them out into experimental electric enclosures is that they now know there's more to the world that their original pen and the electric enclosures, and don't always wait for me to let them out.

I think their base pen is secure (after a couple of upgrades) but I've had a couple of escapes from the electric and I'm not sure how to improve it. I've used electric sheep netting; i think the first escape was due to them pushing enough earth into the bottom of the fence to short it, but I'm thinking the 2nd escape was more deliberate: It was getting close to evening feeding time and I'd just walked away from their pen (piggies protesting 'cos they were hungry) when I heard a series of squeals that sounded like both piggies were getting zapped several times. I dashed back to find them both out and the section of electric fence I move to let them in had been pulled up. I'm now wondering if i need a more robust gate section  - or a more robust zapper.

I've got them out in a new electric enclosure now and will see if they escape in the same way - but there's more to eat in there atm so they might not have the same incentive.

Welcome to the wonderful world of piggies :-)
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: new arrivals
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2016, 11:50:29 pm »
 ;D yes I think they going to take some getting used to. They didn't escape today  :thumbsup: will try again tomorrow when there's less to eat in the enclosure; although it's possible the wet weather put them off today - when I turned up with the evening bucket I found that they'd demolished the improvised shelter (a bit old box-profile roofing on a couple of barrels with bricks to hold it down) but somehow managed to get under it for shelter - when they saw me they came running, carrying the roof sheet on their backs  :roflanim: .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS