Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Something ate my strawberry  (Read 4327 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Something ate my strawberry
« on: June 20, 2010, 06:50:12 pm »
Grrr - My first strawberry got big, went red, and got ate  >:(

How are you protecting yours? I am thinking I need to build some form of netting surround!  ::)

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Something ate my strawberry
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 07:25:29 pm »
Earwigs love strawberries, best to have them hanging rather than in beds I find.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 08:38:11 pm »
Grrr - My first strawberry got big, went red, and got ate

So did mine ........................................................................  by ME :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[  I just couldn't resist it :-[  They are all teh rest of thme green with not the slightest sign of red on them, so I just HAD to ::) ::) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

MiriMaran

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 09:37:51 pm »
We had our first Strawberries today - yum yum.  I'm guessing you probably have a very contented mouse somewhere in your garden!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 08:02:55 am »
I bought a dozen extra strawberry plants to add to a large bed already full of them and STILL I'm yet to have one!! my 5 year old guzzles them and so do the slugs, earwigs, birds...
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 08:42:37 am »
We picked loads yesterday. Had them for dinner yesterday and breakfast this morning - no shortage of Vit C in our house!! One or two eaten but not many, thankfully.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 03:39:07 pm »
ours seem to be ok at the moment, less blackbirds than normal and no slugs thanks to the heat! :&>

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 08:29:01 pm »
ours seem to be ok at the moment, less blackbirds than normal and no slugs thanks to the heat! :&>
THAT Kerstin, is cos all the bl00dy blackbirds are up HERE eating MY strawberries and currants!!

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 10:32:19 am »
After a failure of strawberries last year, I was detemined to have some this year, so I have looked after them supremley, they had sulphate of potash scattered and dug in at the beggining of the year, I have netted them, weeded regularly and cut off any runners, put straw around the base to protect the berries and made sure they are watered regularly.......result.......an abundance of strawberries, yipee, so many I am possibly, but not quite, getting fed up of them. Yesterday I made 4 pots of strawberry jam and a strawberry torte for pudding with plenty left over and that was from one days picking!!
Any that are not up to scratch I chuck in the chicken run, and my little chicks help themselves to the one round the outside. we are all happy :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS