Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lost ear tags  (Read 9648 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Lost ear tags
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2016, 04:12:34 pm »
 Summer fly cream is best thing for the sore ears ... and recommended by my Vet when I had a really shredded ear (sheep that is not me!!) .   Spray is not so good as it dries it out too much.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 06:16:47 pm »
I buy direct from SHEARWELL tags , but a pair of tag pliers may cost you £10 this is why I said ask who has pliers first that you can borrow then buy the tags from the same supplier .

crofterswife

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 10:22:20 pm »
Maybe it is different in Scotland but I was told that all sheep purchased on full EID must have their tags removed and your own red replacement tags put in. With both sets recorded in your stock book.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 10:31:45 pm »
Maybe it is different in Scotland but I was told that all sheep purchased on full EID must have their tags removed and your own red replacement tags put in. With both sets recorded in your stock book.
.   Don't know who told you this but it's not what the Scottish Gov guideline say.
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2016, 07:43:08 am »

I would get an official check on this as it is not what I was told which is sheep MUST keep their !st set of tags unless they are lost then you put in your red tags and record it.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2016, 08:21:06 am »

There are a couple of different ways to read this, and I want to make sure I've got it right. Are you saying that when you buy in tagged ewes, you have to remove their tags and replace them with red tags?  That's definitely not correct, as the sheep's original number stays with it for life.

My understanding is that if bought in animals LOSE their tags, you should replace these either with red tags (new number) or with replicas (i.e. the same number as their original tag), which is then recorded in the flock book.

Also, if one of your own home-bred sheep loses its tags, it is permissible to replace these with the next number available from your own tags, provided you record this in the flock book.

That's my understanding for Scotland at any rate. Is England the same?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 08:22:41 am by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2016, 09:34:51 am »
Yes Womble that is my understanding for England too. I have only removed ear tags once, when I stupidly put the wrong ones in and it was not easy so I certainly hope there are no requirements to take legible ear tags out and replace them.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2016, 10:06:48 am »
Yes Womble that is my understanding for England too. I have only removed ear tags once, when I stupidly put the wrong ones in and it was not easy so I certainly hope there are no requirements to take legible ear tags out and replace them.

Definitely not!

We do sometimes take odd ones out when I is lost ... remove the other so I can replace with new pair (red for not home bred or other for home bred)
Linda

www.nantygroes.co.uk

crofterswife

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2016, 11:52:38 pm »
So I did check up and was informed that either replacing with own red EID tags or keeping original tags was acceptable.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2016, 11:59:11 am »
So I did check up and was informed that either replacing with own red EID tags or keeping original tags was acceptable.

You checked today or checked previously? In your first post you say you were told EID tags must be replaced after the sheep was sold. Lost tags are one thing but to remove and replace for the sake of it is another.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2016, 12:39:29 pm »
One of my goats tags broke apart, i just phoned and ordered same number as originals, didn't need to be red, i was ordering some of my own number as well.
They didn't query it when I said replacing tag on bought in goat. (Daltons)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS