Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Getting Sheep in Better Condition  (Read 2551 times)

Derbyshire Hillbilly

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Derbyshire
Getting Sheep in Better Condition
« on: October 11, 2016, 10:47:44 pm »
Hi guys,
I have a small flock of sheep and am preparing to put my tup in with them within the next few weeks. I've noticed recently that just one or two of my ewes (this will be their second breeding year) aren't quite in top form. Nothing I can really put my finger on but they're not quite in peak condition to my eye. One is scouring a little but they've recently moved onto some really fresh grass which may explain that. My tup has lost a bit of weight too, nothing much and you can't feel his bones but isn't "blooming".

They're all wormed, fluked, have a lick bucket, good pasture and plenty of space. The pasture hasn't had sheep on for around 15 years - only cattle.

Do you think supplementing their diets with a bit of sugar beet or something would help put some meat on the tup and give the ewes a bit more goodness?

Thanks a lot for reading.
Simon

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Getting Sheep in Better Condition
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 08:58:34 am »
Maybe a bit late for this year - it takes around a month of additional feed to put on half a condition score.  Has your vet mentioned any mineral deficiencies in your soil?  How closely was your grass grazed over summer and was it a dry one?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 09:23:15 am »
Do a worm count. Give a mineral drench. Are you feeding your tup? You don't say what sort of sheep.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 12:49:24 pm »
Speak to your vet  and maybe get bloods taken  to find any deficiency

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 01:00:55 pm »
Get your vet to assess for any deficiency- lush green grass at this time of year can be deficient in minerals and trace elements- our lambs were grazing a field of good grass, turns out it was deficient in vit B and we lost one of them, nearly lost another. They too looked a bit lacking but couldn't put my finger on what it was.

Derbyshire Hillbilly

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 01:26:41 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone. The field they're on now was shut off in February and then mown for hay. The sheep are the first things to go on it since then. It's a dry field because its on a slope and drains well.

I should have said they're Ryelands. The tup has hay and is on good grass, the ewes have a high energy lick with added fish oil. I could take a hay rack down to them as well if you think it might help?

I will have to get a blood test done if they don't improve just to put my mind at rest. It could just be me being silly but you know what its like when you have a feeling they aren't quite right.

Twizzle, were yours scouring?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 02:58:47 pm »
Yes they did scour, the one we saved was scouring but since coming in and being treated and crutched she is mich better. We fluked her too just in case but I'm pretty sure she was clear as we killed 3 lambs from her group last week and all livers were clear. She will stay in now as she went blind, but the vet said she is happy for her to stay in with a friend until she goes next month rather than going back out and getting stuck in the hedge. She's eating hay well and knows where the water bowl is, she doesn't stress. The Vit B deficiency is also called CCN or polioencephalomalacia, started off with lethargy and decreased appetite then caused them to go blind, stiff, convulse and die... nasty  :( the scour might have been a red herring or due to them being under the weather.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 03:33:31 pm »
You are already supplementing with a lick bucket with fish oil .... they shouldn't need anything else....
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS