Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: another question! feed  (Read 1260 times)

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
another question! feed
« on: October 10, 2016, 08:14:53 am »
we have our four Ryelands on what the vet says is pretty good grass, should we give them hard feed too?  They are March lambs so still growing I guess.  They are doing well, bur we have had two with unspecified illness needing antibiotics etc.  But they are a good weight.  Don't want to over feed as they will get fat, but want them healthy for the winter and to look good for potential showing next year.

Hoping to have a weekend course from a local shepherdess this month so that will hopefully stop some of the more obvious questions! And am booked on a sheep husbandry course in the spring.  In the meantime it is a big learning curve.

But was proud of myself last week as I injected one of them myself and she is now doing OK again.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: another question! feed
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 08:46:12 am »
Unspecified illness - have they been vaccinated with Ovivac P Plus or similar?  Ryelands should do very well on reasonable quality grazing. 

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 09:13:51 am »
Shouldn't need any hard feed but a handful of nuts a couple of times a week will keep them tame and easy to move should you need to bring them in or move them to a different field. We don't have a dog so our 9 ewes have to be bucket trained as they move fields fairly often.

desertmum

• Joined Mar 2016
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 09:17:52 am »
They were vaccinated before we bought them, will check what they used.  They are up to date with wormers and we put click on them about two weeks ago.  today they are all bouncing about again - but are more problematic so far than our chickens and horses!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS