Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Planting or not  (Read 3903 times)

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
Planting or not
« on: August 20, 2008, 08:14:37 pm »
I have some Charlotte seed potatoes that have chitted and should have gone in April/may. Would they keep for next year or if I put them in now would they take and be OK. Any help with thie THANKS

rustyme

Re: Planting or not
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:37:39 pm »
hello WM,
            if you are in the UK , I forgot to look !!, it is too late to plant them now ... the frost would get them before they could grow properly UNLESS !! you have a greenhouse or polytunnel you can plant them in.  You can grow potatoes for anytime of year really, as long as you can protect them from the frost. You could also grow them in tubs or dustbins under cover . It all depends on how many you have , and how much work you want to put into them really.  They will grow ok though , till the frosts come , then you have to either move them into a g/h or p/t , if they are in tubs or d/bs.

hope that helps

cheers

Russ

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 07:41:17 am »
If you grwo them in tubs in the greenhouse, you shoudl have homegrown new potatoes for Chrsitmas!

Townie

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Fife
    • http://www.townie.wordpress.com
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 12:57:26 pm »
what a great idea!... I have some leftover from earlier this year, i'll plant them up in pots and stick them into the greenhouse when the weather turns

Wildman

• Joined Apr 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 09:17:01 pm »
Thank you all for the help. I will put them in tubs and when the weather turns I will bring them in.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS