Livestock > Sheep

EID ear tags

(1/3) > >>

cairnhill:
Hi everyone

My ear tags arrived today and I think they are far too big for my Hebridean lamb's tiny ears.  I had only seen a picture of them as a sample was not available and therefore could not judge size.  Can anyone suggest a small size tag that doesnt punch out half of the ear when applied.   

thanks
Anna

supplies for smallholders:
Hi,

I presume you have got the "Button" type EID Tags?

There will be EID Lamb Tags and EID Qwik tags becoming available - I will check to see if the tooling is sorted out for these yet.

Thanks

cairnhill:
The ones I got are from Ritchey and look like golf tees, RD2000's i think.

Fleecewife:
Owners of small breed sheep are having big problems with tags, especially if they tag at birth to sell ewes with lambs at foot.  One such breeder lost 80% of the tags and his lambs had horribly split ears - which apart from the welfare issue at the time, means that they can never be tagged as there's nothing left to hold the tag. There is a tag which has a thin pin - think it's by Allitag but I'll look up the details and URL later for you - at least if that pulls out it doesn't leave such a huge wound.  Leave tagging as late as possible so the ears have grown a bit and if they are staying with you perhaps you could get away with the EID one staying in the box.  Also it could be better to put the tag in over the top of the ear rather than dangling under it - stronger ray apparently.  We had hoped RBST would have taken this up but we haven't seen that they have yet.
We haven't bought our tags yet - listening to the stories and trying to decide what to do.

kanisha:
yep  I would be interested to know how soay breeders deal with this as well  as I will be having the same problem whats the point in not tagging the lambs if you can't tell whose who.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version