Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Boxes for wine or juice bottles  (Read 3419 times)

wayfarer

• Joined May 2013
Boxes for wine or juice bottles
« on: October 06, 2016, 02:25:39 pm »
I have eventually got around to getting some juicing equipment so that we can make our own apple juice this year.  The bottles are arriving next week but I need boxes to store the juice in.  Looking online I was surprised how expensive a box for 12 juice / wine bottles is - does anyone have any recommendations for a supplier?

BKeeper

• Joined Jan 2016
  • Isle of Man
Re: Boxes for wine or juice bottles
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 09:00:23 pm »
My apple champagne is at full swing at the moment.  I use swing top pressure bottles.  I did originally buy a load of bottles from Compac but as you rightly say, they are expensive.

A much cheaper alternative is to ask any friend who might purchase M & S fizzy juices, to let you have their empties for re-cycling.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 09:42:49 am »
I found it cheaper to buy Grolsch in swing top bottles and empty them :innocent:

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 11:13:43 am »
The original question was about boxes, not bottles! Could you ask at local supermarket/ wine shop to see if you could recycle the boxes they get wine delivered in. I think they tend to hold six bottles so not so heavy (elf and safety !!)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 02:05:43 am »
Do you want to just store the bottles up right or on their sides  or move a dozen bottles at a time?

Off licences often have strong six & 12 pack empty cartons they are happy to get rid of . A lot of super markets are so worried about the green police causing a stink that they only ever recycle via a licenced waste carrier .

Storing bottles on their side.
 I  got hold of 30 mtrs of perforated 100 mm dia land drain tube , cut it in 310mm  lengths on the band saw . After putting a 1" square strip across an alcove to where the front of th tubes would be I  laid the tubes across it and then filled the whole alcove to chest height with empty tubes Then filled it with full bottles .
As I used to bottle twenty to sixty gallons of home made wine each year it soon filled up . So I then did the same in an outbuilding , every six rows up I laid a 12 " wide shelf of 1/4 " ply across the bottles to stop the tubes crushing those below that might become empty .

After a few years I resorted to laying my bottles noses to the middle on two layers in those big plastic bread trays that have fold over flaps at the ends to allow you to stack them up on top of each other .
 Eight trays in each stack held a lot of bottles  , there were four such stacks as well as the wall racks eventually .

Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS