Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Charolais or Dutch spotted  (Read 886 times)

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
Charolais or Dutch spotted
« on: August 01, 2023, 10:54:11 am »
Hi
I am thinking of crossing some of my Wilts to a Charolais or Dutch spotted, these will be for meat boxes and market!

Does any one have any opinion good or. Bad.
I know the Charolais works well just looking at different options
Tried Hampshire but didn’t work for me

Thanks in advance
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Charolais or Dutch spotted
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2023, 03:26:41 pm »
Charolais are pretty easy lambing, good carcass, if you get a thin skinned pink headed one maybe a bit soft in the weather supposedly. If lambing inside then not such a problem.

Dutch spotted seem to me to be an expensive flashy coloured breed but don’t do much different than any other terminal breed if all you want is to breed meat lambs.

I’ve got lleyns and just bought a chartex (Charolais x texel). Not too wide on his shoulders. I’ll report back what he’s like once I’ve finished lambing next year  :roflanim:

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2023, 04:28:36 pm »
Thanks twizzle
Yeah I think my head is set on Charolais
I will be lambing outside but Wilts are pretty tough tbf
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2023, 07:49:09 pm »
For outdoor lambing to a Charollais tup, choose a tup with wool on his head.  His lambs will have a bit more cover at birth.

(And yes, choose a tup whose shoulders aren't too massive.  The expensive meat's at the other end  ;) )

Keep a close eye at lambing time if they're lambing into bad weather.  The Charollais crosses will mostly come out fast and get up fast, so even though they may be pretty bare, they'll get that all-important first feed within the first 30 minutes.  But in cold wet weather, they do *need* to get that feed within the first 30 minutes, or they can chill very very quickly and become too weak to seek the feed.  So things you can do include :

• consider lambing first-timers later (into better weather, hopefully), or indoors, or to a different breed of tup, to reduce the possibility of lambs not getting to the milk bar quickly enough in bad weather
  • vigilance at birthings and be ready to catch and support the first feed if conditions mean bare lambs will need to feed very quickly
  • have the clear plastic "lamb macs" to hand and fit promptly to any very bare lambs in nasty weather (if you're worried about the mac making the ewe reject the lamb, fit the mac with the ewe able to watch the lamb throughout the whole procedure, rub the birthing fluids over the mac if you can, and smear a bit of the lamb's poop on top of the mac at the tail head, so the macced lamb still smells like her lamb) 

We used one (woolly-headed) Charollais tup (at a time) and several Texels for several years, and kept all the nice Charollais cross ewe lambs for breeders, but made sure we didn't put them back to a Charollais.  (Tried it once and her lambs were so bare they were practically naked.)  This was lambing 250 Texel x and NC Mule ewes outdoors in March on the uplands north of Hadrian's Wall.  Yes we had to be a bit more vigilant and "in attendance" in bad weather, and yes we bought quite a few packs of macs, but the speed of birthing (almost frictionless with that very "tight skin"!) and of the lambs getting the first feed made it not too big a deal unless conditions were truly foul, (and the Texels would also struggle then, as their birthings took more out of lamb and ewe, so even though the lambs were better covered, they could also end up not up and feeding quickly enough due to being exhausted by getting born) and we did it for about 6 years (2 tups, one after the other) so it can't have been too bad! 

Our grades went up (higher proportion of conformations hitting the "golden square" for bonuses year on year as the proportion of our lambs with Charollais genes went up), finished age reduced (weigh when picking lambs to go - the Charollais crosses will weigh heavier than they look, they're solid little chaps!), and fat ring prices were good too, with liveweights displayed, those good conformations obvious on palpation, and those "tight skins".  And, we always bought back some of our own meat from our local butcher (who bought a lot of our lambs off us direct) and I can tell you, the Charollais meat knocked Texel into a cocked hat.  Lean but very succulent, tender, and a really lovely delicate flavour, compared to the very tender, very lean, but comparatively almost tasteless Texel meat. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2023, 07:55:41 pm »

I’ve got lleyns and just bought a chartex (Charolais x texel). Not too wide on his shoulders. I’ll report back what he’s like once I’ve finished lambing next year  :roflanim:

Oooh, interesting mix!  I might even be interested in a couple or three ewe lambs off you...  If you can promise me not too many triplets (or ewes that can rear 3 if they have them)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2023, 09:44:22 pm »
To be fair to my ewes, this year I only had 2 sets of triplets, the drought knocked them back so much that they scanned sensibly, so it proved if I’m really hard on them they will mostly have twins  :roflanim:  but yes, you’re welcome to come look next year if you like, be good to put a face to a name  :)

BenBhoy

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Nottinghamshire
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 10:59:29 pm »
Im a big fan of charollais. Only thing i would say is the lamps grow fast, super fast & if not careful it can drag the ewe down. They keep growing fast after weaning IF they have enough grass. Otherwise go framey with poor finish.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS