Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: older chickens  (Read 2052 times)

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
older chickens
« on: October 03, 2016, 05:17:55 pm »
what do you all do with your older chooks(2-3 yrs) when you want to replace them
i have about 10 of all different breeds to go they are still layeing some eggs probably aroung 3 a week each  but have some younger pullets coming through that i will replace them with for next year

i dont really want to cull them as i think they will do someone some decent eggs next year for the back garden
would auction be an option but dont want to decieve anyone into thinking they will get a tonne of eggs from them

thanks in advance

follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: older chickens
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 05:25:57 pm »
I think some people will be happy to rehome, most who have them for pets are happy with the odd egg, although there are so many ex-battery schemes I feel the market is a bit saturated. No harm trying though.

I just let mine live out their lives until old age, but I don't need a commercial supply of eggs or to turn a profit.
________
Caroline

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 08:58:17 pm »
I have some warrens, ex batts, and they still lay superbly and are coming up for 6 yrs old! :) Have you a local poultry sale at all? wE used to sell ours through auction and they don't fetch much but people will still buy them. BTW what breed are they? Have they been vaccinated and whereabouts are you? Also what price are you looking for?
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 08:19:39 am »
We sell ours in their second year, through Hereford market's poultry sales (first and third Thursday of the month through Spring, Summer and Autumn).  I always label the box (they provide cages but like them in boxes with wired sides if you can) with exactly what's in there - breed, sex and date of hatch.  I never take in a bird I've any concerns about healthwise and I think folks now know that mine are what it says on the box, so prices are generally quite reasonable.

Celli

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Fife
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 08:45:37 am »
I keep mine, I think they get more character as they get older, I have one 6yro who hasn't laid an egg for three years, but I couldn't part with her.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 10:32:41 am »
My brother had an ex battery hen still alive at 12 years old, not laying, of course, but dearly loved.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 11:03:17 am »
I put mine on a local poultry FB page and they all went - min of 5 £3 each. Plenty of people happy to have the odd egg.

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 11:25:59 am »
There is a lad down in the village takes all mine, he dosent breed so is happy for older hens for free and I get the odd pint off him down the pub. M

Last year when I lost most of my stock in a fox attack I was able to get some hens back off him to keep my breeds going.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS