Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ram lamb advice please  (Read 2254 times)

lesbri

• Joined Apr 2013
Ram lamb advice please
« on: September 06, 2016, 12:29:52 pm »
I have a small flock of a dozen girls to tup each year and am now not wanting to increase the flock until I need replacements. I rear lambs for meat for friends and family. Up until now I have bought in a ram lamb or two to cover the girls and then put them in the freezer as I have too little land to keep a ram all year round and as I am not in traditionally sheep keeping country, hiring a ram might be tricky.

Can I just ask your thoughts on using a ram lamb born here back on his mum given that no lambs apart from a ram lamb each year would be bred from and, of course, being very careful the following year not to use a ram lamb from the same mum. Any thoughts, pros or cons? Thank you  :wave:

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Ram lamb advice please
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 12:41:52 pm »
I have a small flock of a dozen girls to tup each year and am now not wanting to increase the flock until I need replacements. I rear lambs for meat for friends and family. Up until now I have bought in a ram lamb or two to cover the girls and then put them in the freezer as I have too little land to keep a ram all year round and as I am not in traditionally sheep keeping country, hiring a ram might be tricky.

Can I just ask your thoughts on using a ram lamb born here back on his mum given that no lambs apart from a ram lamb each year would be bred from and, of course, being very careful the following year not to use a ram lamb from the same mum. Any thoughts, pros or cons? Thank you  :wave:
It isn't a problem as long as you don't keep the offspring. If you keep the offspring and do the same with that one the flock could potentially suffer a lot of inbreeding, resulting in serious problems in health down the line. One cross is ok, so long as thats it. Hope this helps :) If you like I also have a selection of ram lambs for sale which are big enough to do the job £75 each if you like? good genetics! :innocent:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 01:06:07 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 01:47:54 pm »
I agree with wbf, it's very unlikely to cause any problems so long as you don't keep the offspring for breeding.

If you are concerned, you could always give each year's tup lamb's mother a rest year, then the inbreeding coefficient would be very low indeed.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

JedM

• Joined Aug 2014
  • East Anglia
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 01:51:03 pm »
I was just thinking of asking the same question as #Lesbri so thanks for the answers  ;D  Very helpful

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 02:52:24 pm »
Another option, if you have 2 paddocks, would be to use two of your tup lambs, dividing the ewes into two groups, each with a tup lamb from the other group. 
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lesbri

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 04:12:17 pm »
Thanks for the replies, very useful info, like the idea of splitting the flock and using 2 tub lambs, thanks Fleecewife

Nithside

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2016, 01:47:13 pm »
If you know the blood lines of your ewes and home bred tup lambs you should be OK as long as you can split your flock.  As I have done this in the past but I was fortunate enough to have ewes bought in from a range of different flocks so that helped.  It's easy if you record ewes to tups and/or are a pedigree breeder.  Also name any non pedigree tups with their ear tag number, if using a terminal sire especially from the Texel breed you will get the name with the piece of paper for registration to the breed society
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 01:49:24 pm by Nithside »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS