Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Killing Ragwort with Citronella Oil  (Read 4484 times)

henchard

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Carmarthenshire
    • Two Retirees Start a New Life in Wales
    • Facebook
Killing Ragwort with Citronella Oil
« on: August 22, 2016, 07:28:00 pm »
Just browsing some information on weed management in grassland and came across this:

As an alternative to the phenoxy hormones for ragwort control it is possible to spot treat small populations using citronella oil as Barrier H. Citronella oil is a non-toxic natural oil and is best applied at the rosette stage, although can be used up to flowering . Ragwort foliage is totally killed after application. It is spot treated as grass is also damaged.

Anyone tried it? Might be a useful for someone

Taken from this pdf (edit: oops wrong link) so removed. Will try and find the correct link

« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 09:16:05 am by henchard »

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: Killing Ragwort with Citronella Oil
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 10:39:14 pm »
Not come across that one before - although I have very little ragwort anyway. You link seems to take me to a discussion on asulox withdrawal though, and not a pdf on citronella/Ragwort.

Do you think citronella would work on bracken though?

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 08:41:29 am »
I would think that the price of citronella oil might make this a fairly costly exercise  :-\
Is weedkiller not effective on ragwort? (haven't ever sprayed, only pulled them up)

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2016, 09:29:17 am »
I have just used this stuff. We have a lot of ragwort this year. The advantage ks that it is organic so no nasties left behind. Its expensive and the smell is very sttong. I think it only works on rosettes. I tried on the spikes and it failed miserably. In the end i scythed it all down and burnt it off with a view to keeping the areas well topped so that eventually it should die off

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 09:38:40 am »
We have successfully eradicated ragwort from our place by digging it out when it's put up it's flower shoot.  Doesn't smell as good maybe, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper than applying anything, and totally organic.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 12:03:04 am »
 I have used it and I thought it was rubbish. I took ages to take effect and as you have to spray every plant individually you might as well go around with a fork and dig or pull it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS