Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hawthorn  (Read 3114 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
hawthorn
« on: May 20, 2010, 10:03:04 pm »
can my girls eat this plant that is in the wrong place where instead i want it cleared?
thanks langdon ;D :goat:
p.s. i would love if there was an pic of a toggie is well for everytime i put a post on ere
i allways try to put the white one up, as it looks like molly!!
Langdon ;)

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: hawthorn
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 10:12:05 pm »
Hawthorn is fine for goats. You may want to keep an eye out for any really large thorns on the hawthorn. But the small thorns don't bother them in the slightest. They'll love hawthorn.

Beth

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 10:39:18 pm »
as allways thank you beth
 :goat: ;)
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 12:39:00 am »
If you are lucky, some of the hawthorn does not have prickly branches, and is nice on your hands if you pick it.  Thing is, with prickly things like hawthorn, and wild rose, which goats love, its best to let them pick their own, otherwise if your give them the branches to help themselves, sometimes the thorns get stuck in feet, udders etc.

Funny story now, well it was not funny for my friend at the time.  one of his nanny goats got a swollen face.  Took it to the vet. Vet said he would have to keep it in and operate on this lump on its face.  Named a big price. Friend is a farmer, he said no way, and took goat home.  Got his wife to hold the goat, and he looked carefully at its face, and there was a large thorn stuck.  He got some tweezers, removed the thorn, and by next day goat was much improved!!!  He was always careful with his money, and I still smile to think how sick he would feel had he paid the vet, and then found out the damage was just a thorn he could remove for nothing!!!

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 09:29:07 am »
is vets really their to help or in this case fill their pockets?
well done to him
Langdon ;)

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 09:55:01 am »
Depends Langdon who the vet is, we have a local mostly farm based vet company and they are gret, call out are reasonable and the drugs are relatively cheap, they dont take the P and are very good.  Now down South wales we wouldve been paying double the callout and more or less double for any drugs needed. 

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 11:37:36 am »
tenby vets are great i find, but that vet ould have been taking the P!
Langdon ;)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 04:15:27 pm »
Going back a few years, we had a vet in the next village who had his surgery in an annex on the end of the farmhouse.  He neutered and spayed lots of my farm cats and dogs.  He kept goats too, so was really good with them, and knew his stuff.

He did not have the overheads of the other vets - his wife did his books and invoicing etc  No posh reception area, you just went into the lobby with your animal, rang a big old fashioned bell, and more often than not he appeared covered in straw having just fed his goats and hens etc.
The vets charges were very cheap, he was always in demand!!  One of the best things was, if the animal could be treated at home, without expensive drugs, he would tell us

It was a sad day for everyone when he retired and moved further up the valley.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS