Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Don't count......  (Read 2350 times)

Hardfeather

Don't count......
« on: July 27, 2010, 02:01:34 pm »
I had a young hen sitting on twelve eggs, in a shed in the paddock. I wasn't sure when she started brooding, but had been checking for chipping every day when she was off the nest. She came off mid-morning and had a feed and a drink and always went straight back.

Last night, when I was bringing my colt in, I saw her scratching around at the back of the shed. I had a look at the nest and there were four chicks, three dry and alert and one still wet, and some of the other eggs were hatching. I thought it strange that a hen with hatching eggs should be off the nest, so I herded her into the run and watched her into the shed.

This morning I was up at 5.30 and went to check the horses. I looked in the nest and found the hen missing and the four chicks very cold and, seemingly, lifeless. My wife had joined me by then so she ran back to the house and filled a hot water bottle, put it in a box, and I brought the chicks. I held them in my hand and held them in my oxter (my armpit, for the cultured among us  ;D), and I could feel some movement in my hand as I made for the house.

We popped them on a towel on the water bottle and put a sheet of tin foil over them, then I went off to find the heat lamp. It needed a plug put on, so I did that and, by the time I'd set it up in a pen in another shed, the chicks were moving around under the foil and cheeping. They were pretty close to death when I found them, lying with their heads back and their feet spread, and cold to the touch, so I was amazed at such a rapid recovery.

I then went to find the hen, got her and brought her to the pen. I put her in, switched on the lamp and, ten minutes later, took the now standing and cheeping chicks and put them, in the box, under the lamp. The hen immediately started making the expected noises and eyeing the chicks, so I lifted them out and placed them on the floor at the back of the pen. The hen finished up her wheat and then sat down and called the chicks to her. Two of them managed to totter over, but I'd to move the other two with a bit of stick (game hens can be violent), and I tucked them just under her breast feathers. She shuffled over them and settled to brood.

I looked in several times over the next hour and she was still brooding them. I've just had a look just now (1.30pm) and she was still brooding them. However, when I got her up, the chicks are all very bright and lively.

It was and old shed she'd been brooding in and I did notice that the chicks were covered in mites when I was handling them this morning. I think the mites may have been the reason the hen abandoned the nest, but you'd wonder why she managed to sit for three weeks then left them at hatching. They've all had a dusting of powder now.

It's a shame about the unhatched eggs, though. I have another hen sitting but she is about a week off hatching, and the only other option to save the eggs was to put them under a hen which only started brooding yesterday, but I want her to hatch her own eggs as she is a particularly nice bird. The unhatched eggs were cold this morning anyway, so the chances of saving them would be very slim.

I'd been thinking last week, if these eggs had hatched,that I would be ok for young birds from that strain this year, and I may even have some for sale. Don't count your chickens, eh?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 02:04:59 pm by AengusOg »

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: Don't count......
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 02:09:27 pm »
Well done and well spotted Lee, glad things turned out better than you would have first expected. :)

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 02:39:44 pm »
ahh!

woodlandproductsfife

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 08:14:23 pm »
great story! well done muka.

Craig
Craig

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 08:49:48 pm »
phew!  ;D :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 10:39:26 pm »
or ducklings..........  I have 9 eggs in the incubator but until they get to 30 days without hatching I'll keep hoping - one week left to go, must ermemebr to put water in on Friday ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:59:10 pm »
Well done. I thought it was going to be a sad tear jerker but it's a happy one!!!

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 11:09:50 pm »
we had 2 ducks sitting on one nest with 12 eggs... couldn't fail we thought... if one stopped sitting the other would cover.....

fox took both ducks and 9 eggs on day 24
Ian

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 12:02:13 am »
Well done on saving the chicks!!  Like you say, shame about the others. Pity you were not living closer to us.  Got three silkies sitting all together clucking away, but no eggs under them.  They would have been more than happy to help hatch the eggs.

Some of our chicks were only 4 days old when somehow one ended up out of the coop one night.   Whether it never went in, or squeezed out I do not know.  Found it huddled at the side of the coop next morning, and it was a cold, frosty night too.  Alive, just.  Scooped it up, ran to the van, and told my OH to put the heater on full, and cup the little one in his hands.  He held it there for about 20 minutes, and then I had work to go to. Chick was now cheeping, which was encouraging.  Rushed it back to Mum, and the other chicks, and when I got home at lunchtime, it was fine. 

Hardfeather

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 08:54:48 am »
It's incredible how resilient they are.  :)

Game fowl hens are usually very determined sitters. They are fearsome in defence of their chicks, although I do have a couple of hens here who, after the first few days, will let me feed and water without trying to take my head off. ;D There are others who have to be treated very carefully, as the dogs, the cat, and the kids(!) can testify. ;)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS