Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bad foot.  (Read 3386 times)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
Bad foot.
« on: May 16, 2010, 11:10:03 am »
I've only got 8 lambs - had 9 but one died - see other post for that story.
One of the 8 developed a limp and at first nothing was visible, after a couple of days though it was clearly swollen, this led to a vet trip.
Between the toes was full of puss and so on anti biotic injections daily and cleaning with salt water, this lamb is now obviously getting better as it can outrun me when I need to give the injections.
Another one of the 8 has now developed a limp and seems to have the same problem as above.
Is this just bad luck or do sheep look for thorns to stand on for the hell of it, or is something more sinister going on and there's a peculiarity to this field.  :-\
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Bad foot.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 12:10:52 pm »
Its called scold. It happens when grases rub between the toes when they are walking.  Spraying it with terramysin AB spray will help, when they improve flockmaster foot spray or the likes will be useful :) 

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 12:55:20 pm »
I think this is a bit more than scold (scald ?) which is as far as I know a bit like a paper cut.
It's more like an infection from a thorn, imagine your finger after an encounter with a  rose thorn, I still have a small lump on the back of my neck from a stab with a hawthorne.
I'm talking half a teaspoon of puss out of it at one point.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 04:11:32 pm »
If scald isn't treated it can get infected - it starts out like a paper cut and in the same way as if you grubbed around in the dirt with your papercut it will get a bit yukky.

Sheep are always lame in some shape or form and as Hellybee said, some terramycin spray when they first start limping tends to work wonders!

We have a problem with flint splinters and our sheep and that can create absolutely stinking toe abscesses.

As for chasing the lamb - get yourself a good crook or failing that a lovely sheepdog - or if you are feeling very flush get both - they save so much running around and screaming at your partner!!!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 09:39:16 pm »
Are you sure the spot you are squeezing the pus from not the little gland between the toes?  I had a lame one and thought it was pus but not sure that it is. There was also a lump of mud or something which I picked out, sprayed it just in case and she was fine.  But they all have little holes there. Vet should be able to confirm.

florry

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 12:03:52 pm »
You don't say how long your field has had sheep on it. After a while infection builds up on fields. Sheep should be moved on to fresh pasture regularly;this is of course not always possible. Golden rule with sheep if one gets it they all may, so keep an eye on the others and spray with a standard foot rot spray at the first sign.
I have had sheep on my smallholding for some years now. They seem to come up with a new problem every year.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS