Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: One died  (Read 2334 times)

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
One died
« on: May 16, 2010, 11:02:07 am »
We've been bottle feeding two lambs, I know, I told my wife it wasn't a good idea.
Anyway one (he) was weak and wheezed a lot after being fed. The other one (she) was good and strong and never showed any signs of a problem, both had started to eat grass and were grazing normally. We are now approaching the point of stopping bottle feeds altogether.
At 7.00 am yesterday bottle feed it was normal, at 11.30 when I went to give another lamb an injection for a bad foot (whole other story that one ) the bottle fed lamb was clearly not well and seemed to pass pretty well water from what I could tell.
At 3.30 when I looked she was dead.
So what the heck went wrong. The weak one is still running round but obviously not thriving, has had to have a long lasting anti biotic from the vet and at one point was doing an oscar winning performance of a dying sheep. I expected to lose him but not her.
Perhaps this is why we keep sheep, it's so baffling as to what's going on it maintains the interest.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: One died
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 03:24:03 pm »
Have you checked for cocci?
I nearly lost one like that, had terrible scours and a temp.
I would treat the other with vercoxan to be sure.

Sheep always keep us guessing! Really sorry to hear you lost one  :sheep:

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 03:57:33 pm »
Could be any number of things, but cocci is possibly the most likely - sadly there are so many things that lambs can die of, and it never really gets any easier to take particularly when you have put so much effort in.

:(

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 05:53:13 pm »
Have they been handled by anyone else bar you, i mean the immune system gets used to you but if they ve tried to suck some one elses fingers, say, it could be fatal.my friend lost one like that, went down hill over night.  Dunno, just a thought, very sorry to hear of your loss.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS