Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Started At last  (Read 2574 times)

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Started At last
« on: May 16, 2010, 10:42:59 pm »
Well today I have taken the risk after checking on next weeks weather to plant out my peas and beans. I also put in the leak plants and some beetroot seeds. Took me most of the day but at last I can see some progress and my plot at last looks like a veg plot instead of barren earth. I have an area just for herbs and they are doing well. Last year I planted some blackcurrent bushes and to that I have added two blueberry, also rasps and rhubarb. I only had a few strawberry plants but by taking runners last autumn we now have a bed. Tomorrow I will get in the small white turnips which I started off in the pollytunnel. As potatoes and onions were not good last year i have given them a miss and trying runner beans for the first time. My tomato plants are very slow this year and as yet no sign of the sweetcorn or cucumber. I had a laugh to myself last night, thinking how over the years its been horse shows that took over my summers in the past,now, I love going to the garden centre, reading garden mags and books and spend ages deciding what to grow. I still have to plan what shows to take the ponies to this year but it does not fill my whole life anymore, is this an age thing or maybe at last I am turning into a grown up.  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Started At last
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 10:59:49 pm »
My peas are well up, but my beans drowned in a downpour,(not that bothered, not too fond of beans anyway  :o) have never tried leeks - John did and was very fussy about how they were planted so although I like them it put me off growing them. lol   I forgot to put in my beetroot but if it's fine tomorrow I'm building a raised bed (really raised - 30 inches high), so hopefully I'll get them in before the end of the week.  My rasp, blackcurrants, strawbs, goosies all seem to be growing well, and all the fruit trees too.  Need to top up the compost over my tatties tomorrow too, and look in my seed box to see what I can take up to Guardbridge, and what I want to plant
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 07:56:33 am »
my peas and beans went out last week too - my 3 year old bought home a jar of bean stalks from nursery so we added them to the plot (guess what story they were doing last week?!)

potatoes, rhubarb and horseradish going mad!! radishes (lets not go there, I'm confused lol!)

have also risked my brassica's and radishes (fingers crossed)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 08:07:12 am »
I've put the pea seeds out as every other year directly into the bed, but it's the 3rd go and nothing is happening...my daughter's are coming up fine, it's not fair!! :&>

dizzy1pig

• Joined Jan 2010
  • Leuchars, Fife
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 10:46:45 am »
I put pea plants in last week and also seeds, they are all up already..
come on kerstin you can do better than that with all them polystyrene trays!!!!!!
Would you like any more? can bring them tomorrow for you

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 10:50:25 am »
I have loads of pea and bean seeds i'm taking tomorrow - plus some other stuff.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 06:16:02 pm »
I better get organised! I'm fine for trays, thanks Nicky! My greenhouse is full up!! But maybe someone else might need some! I just noticed that some peas are showing now, I thought I lost my gardening touch  ;D :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS