Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb shearing  (Read 2667 times)

NorthWales

• Joined Jul 2015
Lamb shearing
« on: July 08, 2016, 01:56:36 pm »
Hi all,
Wondered if you could help.
I've got a lamb born end of Feb, when I purchased her and her mum I was told not to bother shearing her this year as she was only born in Feb and just do it next year, however now at 5 months old, she's bigger than her mum and just as wooly (if this is the term !) as her mum was before she was sheared. 
Should I just shear her, I presume there isn't any reason why I can't?
Shes a beast of a lamb, nothing like the lambs I see in fields when out and about, still not fully weaned, maybe feeds or trys to once a day from mum, shes a Jacob cross.
Should I just do it, or wait like the breeder said to till next year.
Thanks
Tim

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Lamb shearing
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 06:16:14 pm »
No reason at all why you can't so go ahead , don't expect the wool to come off in one piece it will be more like clipping a dog

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 06:21:43 pm »
Shear her  :thumbsup:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 07:58:07 pm »
Are there any issues clipping a sheep when there's no rise?  Our shearers hate it if we get them too soon, and the sheep aren't ready.  I've often wondered whether the harder work that clipping them is, is also uncomfortable for the sheep. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 09:45:07 am by SallyintNorth »
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Slimjim

• Joined Apr 2013
  • North Devon
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 08:50:37 am »
It might be uncomfortable for 10 minutes, but it will be more 'uncomfortable' with a full fleece through the summer and will increase the risk of fly strike. Go ahead and shear her is my advice.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 09:40:07 am »
Ask shearer to cast eye if sap not risen he won't do it.  You could always take out neck and chest and backend  by hand.

NorthWales

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 08:32:46 pm »
Sorry for not replying sooner, and thanks for all the replies, trying to set up a new hostel, keep animals and maybe sleep in-between  :tired:

Think I just wanted to reassure myself that shearing or maybe just trimming neck/back end(as suggested) wouldn't have any negative consequences for her.

Thanks for all your comments, still a learner Shepard  :sheep: :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS