Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what about this as a first home?  (Read 2633 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: what about this as a first home?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 01:35:28 am »
Beautiful on a sunny summer's day, but will be a bit different in midwinter... Price seems very low so my suspicious mind says there's some major drawback somewhere.  Strip the horrible render off, change the colour of the window frames, plant a load of climbers up the walls and the house could be pretty too.
It's certainly worth looking at for someone in the market, who goes in with their eyes open and expecting the worst.  It could be a jewel and a home for life.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 08:07:11 am »
just found out the reason for low price, its really harsh during wintertime  and it is poor grazing only enough for a few hardy breeds of sheep like welsh hill sheep and highland cattle. still beautiful though :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 08:26:21 am »
Price seems very low

£375K for a two bed in need of work and rather a lot of rough grazing?  I was thinking quite the opposite!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 09:31:58 am »
Anyone thinking of buying now , it may be a good idea to wait if you are not in a hurry.
Prices are sure to fall with all the uncertainty of Brexit.
A couple of properties  near me sold quite recently  looks like buyers have pulled out and they are back on the market at lower prices

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 10:24:57 am »
To me, that is an amazing opportunity for the right person. :farmer:
I agree the price probably has room for negotiation, and it's not for the faint hearted. But the potential is enormous! And hey - you're only here once and life is what you make it. :excited:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Jullienne

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2016, 12:36:12 pm »
Indeed [member=6533]landroverroy[/member]  I myself would like somewhere remote like that, but would be rather harsh and you would struggle to make enough returns on it, a good project for someone with some money though. Only wishing it was me...... ::)
boast not yourself of tomorrow; for you know not what a day may bring forth. Let another man praise you, and not your own mouth; a stranger, and not your own lips. proverbs 27 verses 1-2.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2016, 01:29:08 pm »
If you fancy somewhere remote with 'interesting' weather, Noss Head Lighthouse is for sale up here:
www.dandhlaw.co.uk/property-detail?p=53051

39 acres, 2 cottages (the Northern Lighthouse Board retains ownership of the tower), 2 large outbuildings - £275k.  One of the cottages is used as a holiday let, so there's a base income there already.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS