Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: FEC Cost?  (Read 4602 times)

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
FEC Cost?
« on: July 12, 2016, 10:49:25 am »
Just phoned vet to see what's involved for an egg count.  Receptionist said to bring samples in.  I asked for indication of cost.  She didn't know exact price but said it shouldn't be more than £40 to £50.  I have two goats.  Does this seem right?

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: FEC Cost?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 11:01:43 am »
I just paid £9.50 for a mixed sample from my lambs.

£40/£50 way way to much!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 11:37:23 am »
Our old vet used to charge £12 a sample. Our new vet charges £5.

Various places do a poo by post service though, so if your vet really is charging that much, they could be worth a look.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 12:12:09 pm »
Thanks, all.

The online ones don't seem to cover lungworm.  But I'll continue to look.

Am I right in thinking that I get the FEC done, worm if necessary, then get another FEC done to check the wormer worked?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 05:56:40 pm »
Have a read of scops for advice on worming and the science behind it all. It is an excellent resource for vets and animal owners alike.
As a vet, I'd recommend a chat with your own vet about it because they can tailor worming to your area and your animals, which is really the only way to do any worming plan.
As for faecal sampling - vets in house, the online companies or home testing kits really only do gutworms and coccidia. Fluke and lungworm can be tested for by the vet labs such as sac.
If you are worried about resistance to wormers, your vets will be able to advise when to sample pre and post worming to check for resistance, which varies depending on the wormer.

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 09:05:01 pm »
Usually lungworm and fluke have to be requested, but your vets may have requested these, I'm not sure.
Thanks for adding the link, it's tricky from my phone!

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2016, 10:35:38 am »
So should I request the sample is tested for fluke and lungworm?  Or will my vet let me know if I should based on the area I live in?  Or should I wait for symptoms before requesting this test?

I guess it's going to be in the region of £50 regardless of how many goats I have?

What else should I be doing to avoid worms?  I have only had my goats since March and plan to rotate their pasture - though I'm not sure how often.  A new paddock each season?  I'll have a look at the other threads.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 10:40:01 am »
You have 2 goats. Any sheep?  Are they grazing sheep pasture?  If not then they are unlikely to get worms anyway.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 11:27:27 am »
Seen a couple of home testing kits advertised, never really took much notice of details
Has anyone tried home testing ?
What was your opinion/experience ?

Would of thought it would be handy to be able to keep a  (cost effective)  eye
on individual goats and handy for fast diagnosis of coccidia.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 11:29:59 am by mart6 »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 11:53:35 am »
A friend of mine who is a veterinary pathologist is rather sceptical about home testing and analysis. Even qualified vets don't find it all that easy to master.

I'm in the "every man to his trade" school, though.

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2016, 12:43:13 pm »
You have 2 goats. Any sheep?  Are they grazing sheep pasture?  If not then they are unlikely to get worms anyway.

Just the two goats.  No sheep.  But will hopefully have sheep one day.

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 05:04:14 pm »
My vets charge £8 something for a FEC pooled sample and supply the bottles to use for nothing . I only have sheep now but used to have goats as well so would always keep a close eye on FEC's Diego the problems I could have had with them grazing together  :idea:

Isla

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 12:39:27 pm »
Lots of good info, thanks everyone. Glad I phoned a different practice and got information and a quote of £10. Also felt a sense of confidence in what they were saying.

Did a bunch of reading in preparation for goats. Must revisit books now as living with goats is a reality and not just a dream!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS