Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Advice needed by Novice Cattle owners  (Read 2510 times)

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
Advice needed by Novice Cattle owners
« on: July 05, 2016, 05:43:33 pm »
Hi
We currently only have two RedPoll's, an in calf cow due in August and a year old bullock for company. They are in a 6.5 acre field and are not anywhere near keeping up with the grass growth !! we obviously can't make hay as there are cattle poo's and mole hills in the field,
I'm reluctant to put our 15 lambs out with them as i don't think sheep like long grass (and it would be over their heads). we have only lived here since February and have NEVER been in a situation with too much grass at our previous home.

My question is should we top it? or move the cows into a smaller field with shorter grass? and if so what should we do with this 6.5 acres?

We have another field of 5.3 acres which is all ready to make hay as soon as the weather shows any signs of being a bit settled. so once that's made we will have a nice short field that I was going to put the lambs on. OH wants to wait until we know how much hay we shall need to sustain us through the winter before increasing our numbers.
Any advice would be appreciated  :thinking: :cow: :cow:  thank you
So many ideas, not enough hours

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Advice needed by Novice Cattle owners
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 06:15:35 pm »
In your circs I think I'd top it, yes.  Maybe half quite long 3" or more, the other half a bit shorter 2" or so, so the sheep have some shorter to get on with?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 09:33:54 pm »
I agree with Sally - definitely top it, else if you let it go to seed then you will limit growth for the rest of the year. Once a grass has seeded it has fulfilled its purpose, ie it has reproduced. If you stop this by topping it, then the grass will keep on growing. That is why your lawn keeps growing almost all year, in spite of continuing cutting.
 The regrowth from the topped grass will also be more nutritious for your stock then the long fibrous uncut grass, and suitable for both sheep and  cattle.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 09:37:44 pm »
Thank you - i'll get on with that job this week

So many ideas, not enough hours

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 08:14:55 pm »
Might you consider strip grazing the field next year? 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS