Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: An exciting few days....  (Read 2280 times)

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
An exciting few days....
« on: May 08, 2010, 03:50:15 pm »
It's all happening here! Tomorrow I'm off to River Cottage for a 'chicken keeping course', and whilst I'm there, Phillip, the Singing Shearer will be visiting our small flock of badger faced welsh mountain sheep to give them a trim, ably assisted by my OH (who hasn't managed to catch one yet - he's been trying all week  ::))
On monday, the 11 eggs in my incubator are due to hatch, and we have just had one of our Buff Orpingtons go broody, and I have some eggs ready to go under her tomorrow evening (once we've cleared the spare pen of tree trunks etc (tree surgeon here today, chopping down trees to make space for pigs!).

Life is fun!  ;D

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
Re: An exciting few days....
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 04:42:36 pm »
An exciting time!  Let us know how you get on at River Cottage  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 08:25:28 am »
Yes and please try to post a photo of you with "him".   :D

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 07:28:44 am »
Unfortunately 'he' wasn't there, but I was thrilled to meet Richard Hicks - he took Hugh to his first Poultry Auction 11 years ago - larger than life character with huge whiskers! I was fortunate to sit by him at lunch (which was fantastic!) and I probably learnt more over lunch than I did the rest of the day! Pammy Higgs showed us all how to prepare a chicken for the table and we all had our own bird to do - I never realised it would be such hard work! Anyway - guess what we're having for tea tonight!

Phillip did a great job on the sheep. My 5 year old told me the sheep had been 'peeled'  ;D

Pipping started yesterday - i can see little cracks in 5 out of the 11 eggs - I imagine this is how an expectant  father feels!

The broody orpie is doing a great job on the eggs so far!

:)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 09:18:48 am »
Sounds as though you had a good time.  Was it chicken for lunch?

Sandy

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 01:10:52 pm »
Shame you did not meet him, never mind, just another person I suppose, only difference is he is well known. Me and my other half were talking about ideal men and who we would be with if not each other, I said Johnny Depp and he said Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall  ::) Then added, well maybe Grace Jones!!!!! (I prefer him to have Huge, Grace would kill him in lot's of way's)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS