Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fly strike - treating the wounds  (Read 4172 times)

Rhea

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Wye Valley
Fly strike - treating the wounds
« on: July 03, 2016, 12:19:53 pm »
We had a bad case of fly strike on one of our ewes, and whilst she is now up and about there is a scab on her side that is in just the right place for her to keep making it bleed by rubbing.

We sheared her and treated with Crovect, and later used Maggot Oil on the area, but I'm wondering what I should keep applying to it as I obviously don't want it to get infected or attract any other flies in. We have Summer Fly cream, Engymycin spray and the Maggot Oil easily to hand - are any of these right?

Thanks for your help,

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
Re: Fly strike - treating the wounds
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 12:46:50 pm »
Yes, yourr doing the right thing treatment wise.  The crovect will not need re applying unless ther is a lot of rain fall imho Make sure you ve treated around the wound too, n across shoulder, just in case there s been any sneaky ones get away.  And also this will act as a preventative at the edge of the wound.   The engymycin great, the ab action will help against secondary.  We would jab if there is evidence of infection only, otherwise would just keep sprayed and observed.  If she s bright and eating that s great.  If you ve got other sheep un sprayed get em all done, if you got one wi it , ther may be others, I say is the rule of thumb.    We got three, sprayed that day, well bar two set of pantaloons to dag. that i could nt do on day one as my hands were about to fall off but then we can breathe.....

« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 12:49:24 pm by Hellybee »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 01:48:49 pm »
If the skin is sore, Sudocrem is usually helpful.  It will help to reduce the itching too, which might make her scratch less. :fc:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rhea

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Wye Valley
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 02:58:49 pm »
Thanks for the advice.

We realised she had been struck last weekend, but as we were only a few days away from the shearer coming we couldn't get the rest of the flock treated with Crovect so just had to do a thorough check. Shearer came yesterday, others are all clear, so now just waiting for the fleece to grow so we can use a preventative treatment.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 04:23:37 pm »
 :thumbsup:

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 07:33:49 pm »
I'm with Sally, any soothing ointment, Sudocrem, Savlon, Germoline or similar. Hope all goes well with her.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 11:07:57 am »
We used summer fly cream (really thick and bright yellow) on our lamb that got horrendous strike a few years ago. It protected his back from sunburn and further strike- obviously we sprayed with crovect too, but the cream really helped the wounds heal and provided a great barrier from the sun and flies.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 03:39:54 pm »
I think a cream can be helpful as it keeps the wound elastic - remember scabby knees when you were a child and how they itched when the scab tightened up ....?

Rhea

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Wye Valley
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 09:33:47 pm »
I didn't consider it getting sunburnt - that would be painful!

Glad I dosed her up with the fly cream again this evening  :relief:

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 10:20:18 pm »
The summer fly cream really is great stuff, it's so thick that it doesn't come off easily even if it rains. We used to catch our lamb maybe once every 7-10 days and reapply liberally.

Louise P

• Joined Jul 2015
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2016, 11:32:00 am »
I had a ewe with an abcess on her side which she kept licking no matter what I put on and the flies were around it.
I ended up putting on of my old stretchy t-shirt/ vests on her for a while until it healed.
It worked an absolute treat even though she looked a bit funny.
Whatever works eh :-) x

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS