Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A couple of poultry problems - I'm new to keeping chickens pls help!  (Read 6146 times)

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
Did the louse powder thing tonight. Chickens disgusted.

The bloody egg appears to have been a one-off - phew! :)

Janice is still broody - kept turfing her off the nest all weekend - but she kept going back. Caused a terrible traffic jam at egg-laying time! The rest were glaring at her - like they were saying "Are you not FINISHED yet?"   ;D

I read about dunking her in cold water. Instead I got my son to hold her while I hosed cold water on her underside. (Gently of course!) She was a bit perplexed - went off for a sunbathe then straight back in the nest box, :(

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Give up and put some fertile eggs under her! ::) ;) ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
Ah Anne but where will it all END? With 5 banties going broody at various times, giving them fertile eggs each  time - I'd be overrun with chickens! All very lovely (and my son would love it - he hassles me about doing exactly that constantly) but...... might be a problem finding homes for the wee dears, no?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
So long as they are hens, not cockerels, and not moggies like mine you'd be able to sell them at a few weeks old.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

valr

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Brightons nr Falkirk
Ah now there's an idea! Not many folks sell chickens around central belt so there may well be a market for it ....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS