Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Happier times  (Read 5085 times)

Border Lady

• Joined Sep 2015
Happier times
« on: April 25, 2016, 01:24:42 pm »
Hi Folks,

Last night our Shetland cow gave birth to a healthy heifer calf. A worrying time as our last heifer gave birth to a deformed calf but Mum and and baby(Jennifer) are doing very well, lots of soft mooing. This is her second calf and so far she is a brill Mum, very caring. I intend to halter train the calf and perhaps try my luck in the show ring - that's the plan anyway!  :cow: :excited:
I tried to attach a photo but file is too large, what ever that means!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Happier times
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 02:28:58 pm »
Congratulations! How many Shetlands do you have? Getting out to shows is by far the best way to raise the profile of the breed. SCBA produces leaflets that you can make available to interested folk to take away.

Border Lady

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 03:18:03 pm »
Hi Rosemary,

We have 4 Shetlands in total including newbie calf. I'm a member of SCBA so as you say I will get some leaflets from them when the time comes. I've never done any showing before so it's all a bit scary. Do you have any advice?

Nicki

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 05:03:34 pm »
Hi Rosemary,

We have 4 Shetlands in total including newbie calf. I'm a member of SCBA so as you say I will get some leaflets from them when the time comes. I've never done any showing before so it's all a bit scary. Do you have any advice?

Nicki

Get the cow as well trained as possible but the Limmys will always be wilder than yours. Don't go expecting to win or even place - I've had judges (in my very limited experience) that hadn't heard of Shetland cattle!!!!. Try and make a nice interesting stand - lots of folk will be interested to see the cattle and learn about them. Wash them the day before but be prepared to wash on show day too as mine at least always s**t on themselves on the way to the show or on the side of the trailer then rub in it. Take spare trousers as it's easy to get covered in s**t when unloading shitty cattle.

You can get grass stain removed for horses that also works for cattle. I did sandpaper Annie's horns but you have to do it regularly for full effect; rub with baby or pig oil to make them shiny. I tried backcombing her tail like the "proper" exhibitors, but couldn't manage it properly. Pig oil on the black bts makes them nice and shiny.

Enjoy it - your cattle are far more interesting than all the others. :thumbsup:

Border Lady

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 09:12:12 pm »
Thanks Rosemary,
great advice, just in from watching newbie. Who needs telly when you've got calves and lambs and kittens to watch and you don't need a licence!  Yay!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS