Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Yew hedges  (Read 10260 times)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Re: Yew hedges
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 09:32:27 pm »
I doubt you'll find many who have real, direct experience as no one would risk it!

Ragwort and their ilk kill slowly over years: yew kills with the consumption of around a kg of the stuff, and so rapidly that the animal is found with yew still in their mouths.

I certainly wouldn't risk it,  In my experience, sheep nibble everything before deciding if it's edible or not. A nibble may not kill, but if one or two got a taste for it, you'd lose them.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:34:16 pm by Hevxxx99 »

Weeblehg

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 09:51:58 pm »
Thanks for sharing your personal values [member=4333]Fleecewife[/member] and for your 'constructive' comments based on and backed up by facts (?). As a former vegetarian who now breeds livestock for meat I am quite comfortable with my moral compass thank you, which has involved considerable soul searching and evaluation of personal ethics and values. I have checked on my livestock 3 times today, consulted with a local commercial farmer and spent quite a lot of time searching the Internet, as well as seeking input from others with experience in this area. i am a firm believer in trying to get as many facts as possible before making what I hope to be the best possible decision.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2016, 10:06:04 pm »
personally I've never had a problem with animals eating toxic plants. When I started  with sheep I'd've struggled to identify half the poisonous plants in my fields, let alone removed them all.

I found a yew tree in my field only after the sheep had eaten the green ivy that had covered it. In my current fields I have leylandi, laburnum, bracken, foxglove, deadly nightshade & ragwort (though that's only a worry in hay); there's probably more that I haven't yet identified - certainly there're things they don't eat. Before I moved here my farmer neighbour grazed his cattle into the same fields without issue.

I also let the sheep, lambs, pony & chickens into the garden to eat the grass & weeds from around the rhubarb - which they do without eating it - although the pony tends to trample the rhubarb a bit.

I did once have a ewe get ill after (possibly) eating green acorns from a fallen tree, but that's not certain - but she'd always had a bit of a taste for acorns.

Having said all that there have undeniably been cases of animals eating yew, so I suppose there's a small risk if you happen to have an animal whos' instinct/sense of taste are a bit off.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2016, 10:15:47 pm »
Fleecewife makes a good point well and I'm sorry our answers are mostly based on what we would do if we had a yew hedge near our sheep. I'm with Hevxxx99. Sheep can generally find something to die of at some point so if yours eat yew and die then please let us know, then we will know whether we are worrying for nothing or not.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2016, 10:23:11 pm »
personally I've never had a problem with animals eating toxic plants. When I started  with sheep I'd've struggled to identify half the poisonous plants in my fields, let alone removed them all.

I found a yew tree in my field only after the sheep had eaten the green ivy that had covered it. In my current fields I have leylandi, laburnum, bracken, foxglove, deadly nightshade & ragwort (though that's only a worry in hay); there's probably more that I haven't yet identified - certainly there're things they don't eat. Before I moved here my farmer neighbour grazed his cattle into the same fields without issue.

I also let the sheep, lambs, pony & chickens into the garden to eat the grass & weeds from around the rhubarb - which they do without eating it - although the pony tends to trample the rhubarb a bit.

I did once have a ewe get ill after (possibly) eating green acorns from a fallen tree, but that's not certain - but she'd always had a bit of a taste for acorns.

Having said all that there have undeniably been cases of animals eating yew, so I suppose there's a small risk if you happen to have an animal whos' instinct/sense of taste are a bit off.

At the end of the day you probably can't be sure there is not something harmful in your field but if it is a large patch of something or a hedge full of it then it makes it harder to ignore.  Some plants are actually notifiable such as ragwort and you should clear from your land.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2016, 10:29:38 pm »
How many horses do you see in fields of ragwort? How many sheep graze hillsides covered in bracken? How many cattle graze in fields with oak trees overhanging them? I manage a nature reserve with hemlock water drop wort and cattle grazing for the last 20 years....None have keeled over yet! It's not a matter of caring or not, but a matter of evidence over Anecdote and old wives tales.

How do we know these things are poisonous in the first place?

Because they can and do kill many animals.

Possibly, they don't eat them until there's nothing else left, but sometimes, they get a preverse taste for these things, or are just curious...

Why risk it?

(Do you really know cattle that are over 20 years old?)

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2016, 10:48:56 pm »
You have asked people for their opinion about the risks of yew poisoning and then seem irritated by the fact that that most do not support your approach of seeing what happens. You then insist that you want evidence to the risk. That is no possible in a poll of peoples opinions. Even if there are  number of people who have experience of livestock and yew it is still just anecdote which is close to the lowest level of scientific evidence.
If you want evidence then do a literature search however a quick google would reveal little. I suspect that given the toxicity of yew has been known for a couple of millennium there has been little interest in seeing just how much kills. It is not a reported species and it is not a reportable death so you are never going to know how many animals die from exposure to it.
This link gives a little information:
http://www.provet.co.uk/lorgue/5a92fa3.htm

As to the wisdom that animals don't eat stuff that is bad for them, one of my goat broke out of their pature, went past my full veg garden and ate the 3 remaining leaves on the dying piris japonica that the previous neighbours had left in a pot and very nearly died. I wouldn't take the risk. - (COI - Entirely non-evidenced based._

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2016, 10:53:51 pm »

At the end of the day you probably can't be sure there is not something harmful in your field but if it is a large patch of something or a hedge full of it then it makes it harder to ignore.  Some plants are actually notifiable such as ragwort and you should clear from your land.

As it happens I do remove the ragwort when I find it, and I don't have much - but I remove it principally to stop it spreading (I don't make hay from these fields) not because it's poisonous. And things that don't get eaten tend to be removed for the same reason (like bracken). But if it isn't going to take over if left I don't see a reason for tearing up established hedges just because I happen to know it's inedible.

As for ignoring a hedge full of something - most of the hedges around here are full of laburnum - indeed many are principally laburnum and I don't see any of my farmer neighbours doing anything about it so it can't be much of a risk. possibly yew is different - I don't think I've seen any here, but the one tree I did have in my old place didn't get eaten when the sheep cleared the ivy off it so i didn't see any point in tearing it up.

And I'm not about to chop down several mature oak trees on the off chance another sheep develops a taste for acorns (and my farmer neighbours seem to let them grow in their hedges too).

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 11:08:26 pm »
Actually Fleecewife's comments were constructive. As someone who has spent a career in pharmaceutical R&D human and veterinary I appreciate your desire to gather facts but the Google approach to learning the truth is little better than a random survey of people who keep sheep.  Neither is scientific and both give you room to make your own mind up which is not scientific either. This may or may not lead you to the 'truth'. There is plenty of scientific literature to prove yew toxin is poisonous to sheep.   They may or may not eat it in your case so you are conducting a random experiment.  Fleecewife considers this unethical and you seemed to find it offensive. I don't, it is more akin to not vaccinating knowing that your sheep are more likely to die from a preventable disease. Some people would also regard that as unethical.  I think both are unwise so my sheep don't have access to plants I know are dangerous as far as I can avoid it and do get vaccinated. I applaud you for taking the effort to think it through, even if you don't like the responses it is an interesting discussion

[/quote]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 11:15:59 pm by pharnorth »

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 08:27:48 am »
As I understand it one of the drawbacks with livestock nibbling at poisonous plants is that the toxins build up in the liver and cannot be excreted, so the effect may be cumulative.  I personally wouldn't let my livestock anywhere near yew, for the same reason I'll be vaccinating for Blue Tongue should the vaccine become available this year.  Much, much better safe than sorry.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 10:59:03 am »

As it happens I do remove the ragwort when I find it, and I don't have much - but I remove it principally to stop it spreading (I don't make hay from these fields) not because it's poisonous. And things that don't get eaten tend to be removed for the same reason (like bracken). But if it isn't going to take over if left I don't see a reason for tearing up established hedges just because I happen to know it's inedible.

As for ignoring a hedge full of something - most of the hedges around here are full of laburnum - indeed many are principally laburnum and I don't see any of my farmer neighbours doing anything about it so it can't be much of a risk. possibly yew is different - I don't think I've seen any here, but the one tree I did have in my old place didn't get eaten when the sheep cleared the ivy off it so i didn't see any point in tearing it up.

And I'm not about to chop down several mature oak trees on the off chance another sheep develops a taste for acorns (and my farmer neighbours seem to let them grow in their hedges too).

You don't have to tear things up like hedges and trees you can fence them off if you want to.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 11:52:12 am »
I have decided the OP is either a wind up or does not care sufficiently for his animals to be worth bothering with.
Therefore I suggest this post is ignored and leave him/her to decide for themselves, if in anyway they think this site suggests it's OK to let sheep eat poisonous plants then they will blame this site when they die.

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2016, 06:15:05 pm »
It seems to me from reading all of the responses so far that you are only interested in receiving replies that justify the position that you have already taken. A genuine spirit of inquiry would not have ellicited the responses that you have given to some of the previous posters.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 09:12:18 pm by clydesdaleclopper »
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2016, 07:37:34 pm »
Guys shall we just leave the topic now eh? We have given advice and it is entirely up to them as to whether they want to take it or not, I believe that further comment will be useless, so shall we just leave it at this then eh? We have all voiced our own concerns and given evidence as to our cases, sorry that it sounds like I am preaching in a courtroom :roflanim: it is entierly up to whether they wish to listen or not, we can merely give advice, they don't have to take it if they do not wish to and I myself cannot judge them for that. I will be leaving this topic alone now. Over and out ;D
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2016, 08:18:57 pm »

You don't have to tear things up like hedges and trees you can fence them off if you want to.

Hmm.. I'm not sure of the practicality of fencing off a mature oak such that the acorns/branches blown off in the wind can't fall inside the fence. Even if it were just the trees in the hedge line I wouldn't have much field left.

And as for the leylandi -The sheep would probably riot if I stopped them going in there; As they don't eat it it grows right down to the ground and they always go underneath in inclement weather - an excellent natural sheep shelter - the whole flock's under there right now.

I do seem to have gone a bit off topic though (Yew), though I get the feeling that the OP's got as much of an answer as they're likely to get  :) .  I guess my point is that in general, it's overkil to try and remove every single toxic plant from a field, and whilst there may be particular things to be caution with (possibly yew? - though my sheep never touched it when I had a small yet tree) most things will be left alone by the sheep.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS