Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pasture maintenance using a quad  (Read 3595 times)

Collie and Llamas

• Joined Feb 2016
Pasture maintenance using a quad
« on: March 11, 2016, 10:53:45 am »
Hi all
I am hoping that I can get some ideas here as to the sort of equipment to look for in order to maintain my pasture.
I have lots of moss to get rid of, plus buttercups that are taking over certain areas. There are also some bare patches in which weeds grow.
I am going to use a quad if possible as I feel that the small tractor I have will compact the ground more than the quad. The ground is clay.
I live in France so I may not be able to find the makes that you recommend, however, just being aware of what specification to look for will be great. Unfortunately funds are a bit low, so second hand may have to do. I am thinking along the lines of an aerator, harrow and seed hopper/spreader??
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer
Chris

shinymcprice

• Joined Nov 2014
Re: Pasture maintenance using a quad
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 10:25:18 am »
We've got similar ground by the sound of it. I use a grey fergie as it's light enough to not mark the ground too heavily. The best 2 implements I have are harrows and a topper so I would put them at the top of the list (you can get self powered toppers for towing behind quads).
My spring routine is harrow, roll, aerate then occasional topping through the growing season to limit weed growth and encourage the grass. We have 4 acres with 2 horses, once they've moved to a new section I usually harrow then top the old one so it's ready for them to return later. I haven't been able to justify buying a seed spreader, any overseeding I do by hand but it's limited to the bare patches.
To keep buttercups at bay, harrow and topping for sure, harrows disrupt the spreaders across the ground, topping keeps the heads down to prevent seeding and allow the grass to swamp them. I've heard lime is good to get rid of them too.

Have fun!

Shaun

Collie and Llamas

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 02:38:35 pm »
Hi Shaun
Thanks very much for your reply.
I am in the process now of searching for second hand harrow, roller, aerator and seed spreader. I am looking forward to getting to grips with the fields and hopefully seeing great results.
Thanks again
Chris

Collie and Llamas

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 10:34:43 pm »
Hi
thanks very much for your reply. I am so sorry I haven't responded earlier.
Unfortunately, circumstances have put me behind in working on our land. I am just hoping now I will be able to do what's needed before its too late. I will spend more time reading your reply tomorrow when I can take it in more.

Thanks once again

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS