Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Feeding after lambing .....?  (Read 7649 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Feeding after lambing .....?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2016, 04:22:28 pm »
I'm still feeding my girls a month after lambing as the grass growth here has been rubbish.  Would usually be cutting it down / stopping about now but I fear it will need to continue for a week or so yet judgin by the weather forecast :(.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2016, 05:20:25 pm »
We are still feeding and will continue to do so until the feed runs out which. Wil probably be in a couple of weeks time at this rate.

Best way to ensure there is no old feed lying around to attract rats or go mouldy.
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2016, 05:33:57 pm »
Where's the chart? It sounds useful!

My 8 lactating ewes, mostly with twins, are getting about 1kg each a day plus hay and a feed block. The grazing isn't bad but not what I'd call lush. Lambs are 2-6 weeks old and the ewes are telling me they are completely starving.  I'm thinking of upping their ration. Condition-wise, I'd say they were between 2 and 3.  None are fat and mostly, they're rather leaner than I'd think ideal with twins on.

The lambs, however, don't seem hungry  ::)
              Wish I had half as much grass , condition of ewes sound ok  and they all look well

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 06:56:49 pm »
Thanks. Reassurring to have that imput.  :)

I was lucky to get about another 3 acres this spring of nicely rested grazing next to my usual fields, otherwise I'd have been pretty stuffed!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS