Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Temporary Lamb Marker  (Read 10683 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Re: Temporary Lamb Marker
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2016, 01:42:52 pm »
If you are talking about it lasting purely long enough for mothering up, the orange marker spray works, if they aren't managing to get back together by the time it fades, you'll have had to take some sort of action anyway.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2016, 01:45:21 pm »
Well, firstly for mothering up, since we need to know who has stolen whose lamb  :) , but also so we know who begat who when we come to tag them properly and register them. We made such a bad job of it last year, I wanted to see if we could improve things this time round!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Dusty

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2016, 02:48:22 pm »
I decided to use the padlock type from Roxan for our Shetland lambs in 2014 to try to deal with the problem you identify - keeping track for my own records and for registration purposes.  I was pretty disappointed.  Almost half of the tags came out - I replaced them to keep track and quite a few lambs developed infection at the tag site (despite disinfecting each tag and site at tagging).  It could be of course that my technique was faulty.   
In 2015 we decided to try Roxan's Easytags.  They are light and have quite a fine pin and the lambs seemed to deal well with them.  We used them on 60+ Shetland lambs and all but one remained in place until we tagged them permanently.  Only one developed a slight infection. We plan to use Easytags again this year.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2016, 02:57:54 pm »
Well, firstly for mothering up, since we need to know who has stolen whose lamb  :) , but also so we know who begat who when we come to tag them properly and register them. We made such a bad job of it last year, I wanted to see if we could improve things this time round!

For that, I just now tag everything at birth with Shearwell set tags. Work well, even on the shetlands.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2016, 03:21:52 pm »
We've been using SET tags up until now Mowhaugh. However, I believe the only way to get breed society info onto a SET tag is to print it on the round tab, in place of the Canadian flag in the example below. This year ours will need to be tagged with ZSA 01234 01C etc, which seems a hell of a lot to fit into such a small space?

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2016, 04:28:40 pm »
We didn't number last year, it was chaos, I've also made a bit of a dogs dinner of the numbering so far this year too lol, but the first group are a bit older so I know whose who, but some are numbered some not.  But I ve said to Baz I'm going to make a real effort to go forth from number 18 onwards with no gaps, or Jackson pollock style streaks  :innocent:   We have white lambs so doesn't matter what colour we use, but from seeing local black lambs, orange seems to work x

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2016, 10:21:44 pm »
We've been using SET tags up until now Mowhaugh. However, I believe the only way to get breed society info onto a SET tag is to print it on the round tab, in place of the Canadian flag in the example below. This year ours will need to be tagged with ZSA 01234 01C etc, which seems a hell of a lot to fit into such a small space?

That'll fit fine, It's what we do. Not for Zs but Kerry Hills, but same structure - KH 2455 DXN 16 on each wee round bit. Used to do it for Zs too.  It is wee, but perfectly legible.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2016, 10:44:09 pm »
OK, thanks Mowhaugh. I'll give that a go for this year then and see how it goes. I've nothing to lose really, and I do really like the SET tags - haven't lost one yet!  :thumbsup:.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2016, 03:23:35 pm »
Net-tex Promark spray is the only spray marker I've found that lasts on black wool - will last for a month or two. Other brands don't last a week.  It's not easy to find - you might have to get it ordered in.  They do a branding fluid too.

I've just put in Roxan startin tags for the first time this year.....I didn't find them very easy to put in, maybe my lambs ears are made of tough stuff!! Several pricked fingers...ouch!  I didn't order my shearwell set tags in time as I've just moved house (and hence flock number), but would usually use those from day old.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2016, 10:15:26 pm »
Well I think we solved the temporary marking problem. Probably not a solution for entirely black breeds, but it turns out even a little bit of white can be put to good use!  ;D

I'm not convinced these marks are going to last more than a week though. We'll see!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2016, 07:43:54 am »
OK, the Shearwell SET tags arrived (see attachment). The ZSA number overhangs the round tab by quite a bit, so is still reasonably readable. Obviously the font is smaller than on a button tag, but hopefully we'll lose fewer of these!

The results are also in on the temporary marker test, and Foobar's recommendation was spot on. After nearly two weeks, the order from most visible to least visible is:

1) NetTex Promark Red - Still nice and visible from a distance. Looks like a nasty accident when first applied though!
2) NetTex Promark Blue - Still nice and visible from a distance
3) NetTex Marksman Purple - Fading a little, but still ok
4) Ritchey Super Sprayline Green - Started off a browny-green colour (See pics above), and has now faded to greeny-grey, so easily confused with dirt or poo. Smells weirder than dirt or poo. Not recommended.
5) NetTex Marksman Yellow - Goes on like a foam and doesn't penetrate the fleece. Lambs transfer smudges of colour onto other lambs. Marks on white tails and heads had to be re-applied after 1 week to keep them clear. The yellow "Ts" on black wool (see pic above) were only just visible after two weeks - if that had been a number, I'm not sure we'd have been able to read it without saying "Is that a 6 or an 8?". Not recommended.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 07:45:50 am by Womble »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2016, 12:04:30 pm »
Thanks for writing that up, Womble, and for showing the tags.   :thumbsup:

Personally, I use the Ritchey sprays only for very temporary - marking the ones I've treated in the pen, so no one gets two doses, that temporary.  It's not rain proof, so a few days is all you can rely on.

We use the Carrs Billington ones, which are the best I've tried, they will reliably show for two months or more on white wool.  (So can be used for scanning marks, and will still be visible at lambing.). Sounds like the Nettex are similar.  We usually use orange, red, green, blue or purple for lasting marks.  Yellow for more transient, as it's less visible to start with.  You do need to shake the can vigorously before spraying, or you can get clods of powder, which do rub off on other sheep. 

Marks on heads never seem to last long at all.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

beagh-suffolks

• Joined Oct 2014
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2016, 08:35:37 pm »
suffolk lambs are black for ages and i have had the same problem as you trying to get something to identify them out in the field, but for Christmas as a joke my brother bought me a tin of luminous pink sheep marker an it is brilliant, not only can it be saw from a distance but it lasts a good amount of time! when im home i will try and get the name of it for you ...but it can be saw as clear as anything on dark/black wool.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2016, 10:57:07 pm »
Cool! They don't do a glow in the dark one do they?  ;D

For temporary "have I wormed you yet?" markers, we use one of the wee pritt-stick style crayons, which works just fine. I have mine attached to a retractable ski-pass holder for ease of use  :thumbsup: .

The best marker of all seems to be orange raddle paste. It's still going strong on several of our ewes after 160+ days!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS