Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Castlemilk Moorits, Close to lambing  (Read 4995 times)

Garry31

• Joined Feb 2016
Castlemilk Moorits, Close to lambing
« on: March 25, 2016, 02:55:57 pm »
Hi all, I have recently acquired a small flock of Castlemilks, 5 ewes in lamb, 2 Gimmers and a Tup. They all run  together pretty well at the moment(see pic attached).
Getting closer to lambing now and was wondering if its best to remove the Tup and Gimmers ?. Also if the are removed would they be fine sharing another field with a horse?
I'm getting lots off conflicting advice from friends and such like but imagine it can vary lots dependant on breed, space etc.

Thanks Garry

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Castlemilk Moorits, Close to lambing
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 09:39:19 am »
If sharing with a horse have a tape or fence across a couple of corners so the sheep can escape if the horses start playing rough.  Otherwise mine share with no problems.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2016, 10:49:30 am »

Best to remove the tup before lambing starts.  The gimmers will benefit from staying with the ewes to see what goes on at lambing time.
How long have the gimmers been running with the tup?  Do you need to expect them to lamb too?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 10:58:24 am »
Our ponies are very good with sheep, but we wouldn't let them run together with lambs at foot

Garry31

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 11:45:07 am »
Thanks for advice. The gimmers and Tup have only been running together for around a month so not expecting any surprises. Think ill get him shifted soon just to be safe. Hopefully he will be happy enough with horse. Our horse used to share his field with 3 highland cattle. Had no bother in those 3 years although the first day was interesting.

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 09:42:44 pm »
It all depends on the flock I think.
I do leave the tup in with my Soays for lambing and haven't had a problem in 3 years. The whole flock seems to be very respectful of new mums and lambs, and the ram has been very good with them (and not bothering the ewes either).
I have a new tup this year so maybe things will be different, so I'll be watching closely but will only separate if there is a problem. New ram is less pushy than the previous one so I don't really think there will be problems.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 03:23:17 pm »
I removed my tup for my CMM flock as when they were getting closer to delivering he started getting very excited and mothered them constantly. Apparently the pheromones are similar to those when they are in season so some tups can be a problem. Mine certainly was.

Garry31

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 03:39:14 pm »
Thanks everyone for the advice, its very much appreciated. Keeping a close eye on him for now and any signs that he may be a pest he will be shifted into the field with the horse. Very new to sheep and lambing so hoping they will be kind to us with not too many problems while we find our way.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 09:49:36 pm »
Good luck!

I love my CMM. Hope you have a good lambing.

Bramblecot

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 05:41:26 pm »
Be careful with the horse and lambs.  My neighbour had a lamb pts last week after her pony literally took a bite out of it :'( .   And the fox/badger took another...

My ram started getting pushy this week so he has gone with a wether to summer pastures until the lambs are a good size.  CMM are lovely, enjoy your new flock.

Garry31

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2016, 04:25:31 pm »
Hi all,

Just a little update. We arrived to our first Lamb today(see pic). Seems healthy and all doing fine. Ram has given no problems and keeping well clear of them. The other ewes have shown a little interest but very gentle around mother & lamb. On the other hand one of the gimmers is being a bit of a pest wanting to play and mother being very protective keeping her in check. 

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2016, 07:38:29 pm »
Nice looking lamb. :excited:

I've had a couple of my gimmers very excited by the arrival of lambs as they are something to play with!

Garry31

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2016, 09:30:36 pm »
Thats us about done now. 4 sets of twins and 1 single. No problems at all with Ram bothering them.
Overall i think it has went very well expecialy with us being complete beginners. All lambed without any assistance in field.
We had a bit of bother with a very weak twin which was rejected as he did not have the strength to get up or feed.
All came good in the end by bottle feeding and then penning all together for a few days.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2016, 10:32:57 pm »
Great news  :thumbsup: Hope l am as fortunate  as you and mine all  manage to lamb safely.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS