Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Just tasted the air dried ham  (Read 3485 times)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Just tasted the air dried ham
« on: April 12, 2016, 10:05:55 am »
The hardest part was the 18months of patience watching it hanging there......
......it is pride rather than generosity which has caused me to allow about 20 people to sample a bit.....beautiful!

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
Re: Just tasted the air dried ham
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 10:08:21 am »
Well done you!  :thumbsup:

I was wondering about the opposite but will start a new thread.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 10:50:20 am »
I think its brilliant what you have done. How easy was it to do? and are you going to be making any more? :excited:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 04:11:43 pm »
Good on you - home air dried ham is just out of this world  :thumbsup:

WBF - there are a couple of threads on the forum about doing air dried hams, I know cos I wrote a couple of them!
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=41528.msg398186#msg398186
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=29080.msg289414#msg289414
http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=24150.msg233843#msg233843

Basically it is dead easy - you just need a lot of patience  :innocent:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 05:06:07 pm »
Yes it is in the category of easy enough for me to do so can't be too hard.  The threads Sudanpan has forwarded are useful on how to deal with the product. I was told to use the poly vac dried salt which I sourced from Weschenfelder.  It is flaked rather than the crystalline type you get as table salt so has a better direct contact with the surface I guess.  Pat the surface of the meat with a cloth soaked in vinegar, dry with a clean cloth, pack with at least 2cm deep salt all round place a heavtpy weight on top and leave for 3 days per Kg.  Then rinse off, pat again with vinegar, wrap in muslin and hang. At least that is the version that I have followed. ......

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 08:25:54 am »
Can I ask where you hung it.?
I guess temperature humidity and airflow are important. We did saucisson once ( hung them in a large cheese safe in a cool utility room) but elect to cook our hams.

www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 01:00:54 pm »
No such delux accomodation for my ham.  I was bothered by the delapidated condition of the garden shed until I went to the Chelsea Flower Show a few years back and realised they were a much sought after feature for the Kensington set.  So I some vermiculite, soil and sedum seeds on top and now it is an admired asset rather than a job to be done....

The next ham is going in our bigger workshop though as it is a massive 8kg so I need a concrete beam to hang it off. The key has got to be good fly proof cloth and away from rodents. Also ideally I would hang late October when the temperature is beginning to drop so it is already quite dry by spring.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 11:45:59 pm »
I hang ours in the eaves outside the goat shed - nice through breeze to dry it. We made a simple 'meat locker' for hanging by taking an old kitchen cupboard, knocking out the back and the middle of the door on the front and replacing with fly proof mesh. I use the leg of the last pig of the year - usually around October/November time and hang over winter until the temperature gets up to about 20 degrees - -usually May time - when it comes down and gets eaten. For salting and vinegaring, my method sounds more or less the same as pharnorths.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 04:43:21 pm »
Good tips - many thanks.  I may buy a leg next time it is on sale for 1.94 € a kg so as to try the method rather than use a better quality ham.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS