Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Direct question  (Read 3790 times)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Direct question
« on: April 12, 2016, 02:21:38 pm »
Simple answers plz no arguements allowed! Can I ask why it is that when I ask advice about a sick animal on here and then say what treatments my vet treated the animal with, that certain people start to really have a go at me for it? Why is this? I would really like to know. I was under the impression that the forum was for helpful advice and not to be criticised in not a nice way for what you have done for the best for the animal in question. I must admit along with being very upset and distressed about the lamb it didnt help to read what some people had said. I do have feelings like every other human being and I would like to say that I am very upset about it all. There have been times when I have been afraid to ask advice because of what people might say. Should I be afraid? Rant over now  :'(
I have decided to not post at all on the forum from now on. If anyone wants to reach me you will have to PM
Thanks and goodbye!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:43:19 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Direct question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 02:43:15 pm »
Sometimes written comments sound more harsh than they are meant to be.  :hug: I think generally most peoples comments are well meaning.

My comment generally about the threads where "vets" advice is asked and this is no reflection on you WBF is that sometimes clearly the person posted should have contacted their vet immediately not spent time posting on here looking for advice.

There are loads of really experienced people on here and really helpful vets but it isn't an excuse for not calling your own vet when some animal clearly needs one. So the " my animal is very ill, symptoms are ......what should I do??" posts tend to make me bristle. Most of us are not vets, so are not qualified to tell anyone what it might be and what to treat with. I think people who offer advise based on their experiences generally do so in a sympathetic manner.

It is a shame when people get upset by replies, in my view is if you ask then be prepared for what replies you might get that might not be as friendly sounding as you would like, but take them in the spirit they were offered. :eyelashes:

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 05:12:39 pm »
 :raining: :rant: :knit: :fc:

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 05:20:26 pm »
Yes it is a shame. Please keep posting Wbf. Your posts are often just a little bit different and make me think.  There are many forum where I end up dropping out because there is fractious comments or 'name and shame' mentality. Dan did a good job mediating in this case and it is this which keeps this forum worth contributing to.

In your case it read to me that there really wasn't much difference between what you were doing and what was being suggested and maybe responses were a bit pressured we all have those moments we type something and only later read it back.  I do consultancy in a different field and it is annoying when people ask your professional opinion then seemingly ignore it (although I have the pleasure of charging them anyway) but I don't think you did that, it was just interpreted that way.

Harmony makes a good point regarding animals that are seriously ill I have had a couple of occasions when I have posted on here while waiting a call back from my own Vet as sometimes it is quicker.

people on this forum clearly care about their livestock and there is always going to be strong views as to when and animal is being kept going too long and when it is being dispatched too soon. It is the difficult decision and only the people there can make that call correctly. 

I hope your day ends better than it started  :wave: :wave:

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 05:52:29 pm »
WBF - you are my favourite poster, you have such a fresh enthusiast look on things and often (privately) wish my own son would have your zest for farming. I would have said this sooner except its probably inappropriate to say on a forum.

Don't feel you have to leave, no one knows everything, and asking questions keeps us learning.

Brandi

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 08:50:08 pm »
I was sorry to read your post WBF and once again don't know the context so cannot comment with any authority. However, we all have different contributions to make and should be shown respect accordingly. As has been said you are always enthusiastic and always provide foot for thought.  :hug:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 09:41:30 pm »
I love it when someone spits their dummy out ;D

Brandi

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 09:45:43 pm »
That comment says it all really

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 10:14:07 pm »
Please keep posting WBF.
This is yet another example of where we all need to take more care about what we type and think about how what we've written could be interpreted.  Else we will lose yet more TAS members :(

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 11:32:51 pm »
Not you an all!!  Please don't go  :innocent:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 12:04:52 am »
I'm with everyone else. We don't want you to leave.

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 03:19:40 am »
I'd miss your posts hugely. Easy to be philosophical when its not me who feels like you do, but any internet forum gives people freedom to vent and express opinions without always having to be that considerate. I'm much more opinionated on the internet than in real life and would hate to think I ever offended anyone, but probably have on occasions. TAS is by far the most considerate place I go to online and you've been part of that for me. Thanks for all the help and hopefully you wont be gone long

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 05:03:32 am »
Talking about animals with someone is like talking about their kids. 
The way they bring them up should never questioned without expecting wrath. ;)

Not seen the posts - but with less tired and stressed eyes, then maybe, I can hope to see you back discussing on the forum again?

Best of luck either way.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 01:20:04 pm »

Loads of people join and leave TAS every day.  Most don't post at all, so we don't see them arrive, nor do they wave goodbye when they depart.

WBF - you need a cooling off period, then come back when you're ready.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 06:17:50 pm »
Just as Fleecewife says WBF! I, for one would miss your input should you leave us. There are, always have been and always will be people who thrive on controversy and don't realise they are "speaking" to a real person. These folk are best ignored.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS